Run red, ticket ahead

Plain-clothes officers to monitor intersections

Published: Monday, May 30, 2011

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

In response to increasing complaints about red light runners, College Station Police Department is innovating new ways to catch offenders.

In an April press release the CSPD first mentioned a new method of catching offenders by stationing a plain-clothes officer at an intersection with a partner in a patrol car. When an offender runs a red light, that officer then relays a description of the car, driver and license plate to the patrol car to give the citation.

This enforcement comes nearly a year and a half after College Station voters put an end to the red light cameras. However, this new method does allow residents the opportunity to face their accuser, an oft-heard complaint about the cameras.

College Station Public Information officer Rhonda Seaton explained that this new method of enforcement would be "the exception rather than the rule." The method will be used when there is the time and manpower to avoid taking away from the duties officers already handle.

There are some logistical problems to the new method as it can be difficult to stop a red light offender that is not headed towards the patrol car.

Another new innovation, which may have gone unnoticed, consists of white lights placed underneath the signals, which light up when the light turns red. This allows officers to know when a light turns red from any vantage point.

May 3rd also kicked-off the "Click It or Ticket" campaign where officers across the state will be looking for both drivers and passengers not wearing seatbelts.