Robbery at Evans Library

Published: Monday, July 9, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 22:07

Two men allegedly accosted two Texas A&M University students within half an hour of each other on Saturday.

According to the Texas A&M University Police Department, on Saturday night, officers responded to a call after 11 p.m. of a robbery at the Sterling C. Evans Library. The victim reported that while he was sitting at a table outside the library near one of the pillars, he was approached by two young men wearing hoodies, when one of them suddenly grabbed the back of his head and held it down to the table.

He then demanded the victim hand over his money, while the other one took close to $100 out of his backpack. The victim also said the suspects were armed with a knife. After taking his money, the victim said they escaped past the Pavilion, toward the liberal arts construction site.

The suspects are described as black males, both between 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet, in their late teens to early 20s and wearing either grey or black hoodies.

Some students, including
Hassan Daramsis, sophomore
petroleum engineering major say this can happen to anyone,

“It’s kind of scary, I’ve sat in that exact spot before cramming for a test, it could have happened to me,” Daramsis said. “It just makes me feel more cautious, especially at night.”

This was not the only report of the night. About a half an hour later, University Police received a separate call from a student close to 11:30 p.m. of a similar nature.

This student was reportedly sitting at a bench outside the Langford Building between Buildings B and C, when he noticed two suspects of similar size and dress approaching him, and as they drew near they reportedly covered their faces with ski masks. Then the subject ran toward Ross St. while the suspects fled toward University Drive.

These incidents may have some students treading more cautiously but for students like Alexa Morton, sophomore recreation, parks and tourism major, the campus is not something to be feared.

“All in all, A&M is still a very safe campus,” Morton said about her fears. “As long as people use safety devices like corps escorts and the emergency boxes, it’s safe.”

As posted on the University Police website, if anyone has information regarding this incident or the identity of the actors, they are encouraged to contact the University Police Department at (979) 845-2345