Guest column: Aggies should stand by their opinions

Published: Thursday, April 28, 2011

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 19:07

The ongoing debate over SB 63-106 has revealed much about the student body and those that claim to speak for us. It seems to me that its supporters are constantly tiptoeing backwards to keep from offending anyone.

I will not follow suit.  I proudly support the bill for several reasons.  For one, I believe that homosexual actions are immoral, and I find its one-sided support through my student fees intolerable. I do not hate homosexuals; their lifestyle is offensive and against my beliefs. I feel the same about extramarital sex and similar actions common today.  All are a misuse of a gift from God. Sex is not about recreation or either of the two participants; it is about an attempt to create new life. Sex that has no possibility of conception is wrong because it deprives a person at a chance at life. Extramarital and homosexual sex is selfish and reprehensible because they put the participants first at the expense of the most vulnerable.  Why should we support this without also supporting the more upright point of view?

I know that many have homosexual tendencies that may or may not be natural. Even if they are, that does not excuse acting them out. I can have innate feelings for a married woman, but that does not excuse adultery. We are not animals, dominated by instinct. We have free will and, to some extent, self-discipline. It is our instinct to sleep until the sun wakes us, but we set our alarms and go to class in the morning. We diet, exercise, take medicine and do a multitude of things that are against our instincts. Sometimes, doing the right thing takes effort and goes against what we want to do.  I sympathize with those fighting the temptation; I know it is a long, hard struggle.

Despite this, I will likely be accused of hate, which, as we have been told ad nauseum, is not an Aggie value. I counter that moral courage and integrity are. This means standing up to the charges of bigotry and intolerance for your beliefs. Our student senate, almost as soon as the bill passed, came out to say that they did not support it. If it was such a bad idea and should have never been passed, then why did they vote for it? I have yet to hear one of its supporters stand up to the noise and say that they are proud of their vote. Don't Aggies stand by what they believe is right? Is moral courage only one of our values until someone gets mad about our stance? Has our University sunk that far? No matter your stance on SB 63-106, have the strength of character to actually stand by it. Integrity and courage are the most important of our values, even above our loyalty to each other. That is why the honor code says that Aggies do not tolerate dishonorable people.  If you tolerate everything, you stand for nothing.

Just as despicable as moral cowardice is the exploitation of our traditions for the advancement of an agenda. No true Aggie would use the most sacred of our traditions, Muster, as an opportunity to delegitimize a bill they disagree with. Muster is about honoring those who have come and gone before us, not about accepting everyone's choices. It disgusts me that some think that their agenda is protected by the passing of the fellow Aggies they claim to place so high. If maintaining our Aggie family is as important to them as they say, then let the supporters of the bill leave the memory of our honored dead out of the debate. A true Aggie respects those who built this University we all love.

This is an important debate that determines what we as a university believe.  If you have managed to read this far, then you are rational or patient enough to discuss this with me.