Nancy Plakey-Videla stands in Evans Library on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024.(Abdurahman Azeez/The Battalion)
A&M professors discuss Texas border policies, legal clashes with federal government
Cameron Gibson, News Reporter • March 28, 2024

For a few hours, a new law known as Senate Bill 4, or SB4, went into effect on March 20, making crossing the border illegally a state crime.  The...

Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Arizona State on Friday, March. 1, 2024 at Globe Life Field. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Aschenbeck’s extended relief guides A&M to 9-7 win over Auburn
Luke White, Sports Editor • March 28, 2024

Senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck entered the sixth inning of Thursday’s game between Texas A&M baseball and Auburn in a situation that likely...

From feral to fostered
From feral to fostered
Camila Munoz, Life & Arts Writer • March 27, 2024

Texas A&M houses almost 70,000 students and nearly as many cats. The campus is home to a high feral cat population, most notably around Heldenfels...

Graphic of Jared Shult on TikTok
Jamming with Jared
March 27, 2024
The EV team displaying their car on March 24, 2024 at Aggie Park.
‘Rollout 2024’
March 25, 2024
Should an app that sexualizes kids still be permitted within the United States? Opinion columnist Bj Barnes says it’s time to ditch TikTok. (Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: Tick tock, TikTok
Bj Barnes, Opinion Columnist • March 28, 2024

The bipartisan bill that rocketed to the top of national headlines after passing the House 352-65 could spell doom for everyone’s favorite...

Student advocates march across campus in support of the Texas DREAM Act

Photo by Tim Lai
Photo by Tim Lai

Chanting “Si Se Puede” — “Yes We Can” — and with “Undocumented” printed across their black t-shirts, close to 70 students and supporters marched Wednesday morning across campus to draw attention to a brewing legislative battle over undocumented student fees.
Local DREAM Act advocates marched at 10:30 a.m. from Rudder Plaza to Simpson Drill field to show their determination to keep it a part of Texas’ law. The DREAM Act allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition rates if they graduated from a Texas high school or received a GED in Texas, and if they sign an affidavit indicating they seek legal residency. The Act was adopted in 2001, but a right-leaning Texas legislature has the Act’s advocates readying to fend off attempts at a repeal.
The marchers held signs stamped with “We have earned it” and “Education, not deportation,” while chanting “Si, se puede” — “Yes, we can,” in Spanish. The march, hosted by the Council for Minority Student Affairs, concluded at Simpson Drill Field with a press conference.
Gabriela Castillo, vice president of CMSA and political science junior, said the march was the first of its kind and intended to bring awareness to the community about participants’ determination to fight the repeal of the DREAM Act.
“We wanted to reach out to the community and let them know that we are aware of these proposed legislations, willing to fight them, and willing to go far out of our comfort zone to do so,” Castillo said. “We want them to know that we are keeping a watchful eye on Texas legislation.”
The efforts to repeal the DREAM Act center around House Bill 360, filed in November by Republican Rep. Mark Keough, which would effectively kill the DREAM Act by by requiring applicants for in-state tuition to be citizens at the time of application.
Roxann Lerma, CMSA public relations representative and biochemistry senior, said the march was scheduled at an ideal time to combat efforts to repeal the DREAM Act.
“We knew these bills were about to start rolling,” Lerma said. “We wanted to make our statement at the right time.”
Castillo said the march also intended to advocate for DAPA, or Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents, which was recently ruled unconstitutional by U.S. District Court Judge Andrew Hanen.
DAPA is a form of immigrant relief that essentially extends DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, to include eligible parents of U.S. citizens. To qualify, the individual must have been physically present in the U.S. since Jan. 1, 2010 and have a child who was born on or before Nov. 20, 2014.
Castillo said the march was successful and received a lot of attention.
“People saw us and were cheering us on. Some even joined in to march with us,” Castillo said. “It was refreshing and powerful.”
Lerma said one of her hopes for this event, which was named the National Day of Action, is that it will encourage other universities to show the same passion for advocating undocumented citizens.
“What we want is for other universities to start marching like this as well,” Lerma said. “Universities like the University of Texas and the University of Texas Pan-American – we want them to join us in the fight.”

• Photo by Tim Lai