Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) winds up to pitch during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Took the Tide
Took the Tide
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Took the Tide
Kylie Stoner, Associate Sports Editor • April 15, 2024

After a close pitching battle in the beginning of the matchup, Texas A&M softball defeated 9-4 Alabama to take the series on Monday, April...

Visitors attend Homegrown at Northgate, an annual farmers and artisan market on Sunday, April 16, 2024. (Samuel Falade/The Battalion)
Homegrown brings food trucks, local vendors, live music to Northgate
Nadia Abusaid, Life & Arts Writer • April 15, 2024

A cool breeze flows on a Sunday as people listen to the strums of a guitar and smooth vocals. People stroll past stands and food trucks, stopping...

Guest contributor says students pose an unacceptable danger to local motorists. (Photo via Nile/Pixabay)
Letter to the editor: No-More-Student-Drivers
Trey Bass, Guest Contributor • April 15, 2024

Dear Editor,  I am writing to discuss the current state of our city and some glaring issues I have noticed being perpetrated on the innocent...

Pair of 3rd-place finishes for track at SEC indoors

PROVIDED Shamier Little won the 400 meter during the SEC Indoor Championships over the weekend.

The Texas A&M track and field team finished third in both the men and women’s division this weekend at the SEC Indoor Championships in Lexington, Kentucky.
“There were some highs and some lows for us today,” head coach Pat Henry told reporters at the conclusion of Saturday’s action. “I’m disappointed with a number of people and situations today … We can’t have those kind of situations in a big meet, we all need to be prepared and on the same page. To be third here with both groups was a great meet for us, there is no question about that.”
The No. 7 Aggie women finished the meet with 81.9 points, a total only bested by No. 1 Arkansas (130) and No. 3 Florida (86). The team was led by a pair of individual first place finishes on Saturday.
Senior Hillary Montgomery, who set the school record for the mile earlier in the season, jumped out to an early lead in the 5,000 meters and never looked back. Montgomery won the event with a time of 16:16.00, and had to make her way around lapped competitors to find the finish line. Teammate Grace Fletcher finished second to give the Aggies the top two spots in the event.
“It’s so incredible for us to come out here and represent Texas A&M like that,” Montgomery said. “It’s amazing. We’ve all worked so incredibly hard and I’m so happy it paid off. Having Grace right behind me encouraged me to keep going with that pace.”
Sophomore Shamier Little won the women’s 400 meter with a time of 51.37 seconds. Little finished third in the event at last year’s SEC Indoor and first at the conference’s outdoor championship as a freshman. Little’s time was the third-fastest collegiate time and second-fastest American time ever posted.
Senior thrower Brea Garrett finished second in the weight toss for the third consecutive year at the SEC championship. Garrett also took fifth place in the shot put on day one of competition.
The No. 4 Aggie men also finished third, two points behind No. 3 Arkansas and 17 points behind No. 1 Florida. The men’s effort was led by another title for the 4×400 meter relay team, which took first for the third consecutive year. The Aggie quartet of Gregory Coleman, Shavez Hart, Deon Hickey and Bralon Taplin chased down Florida on the final lap en route to posting a facility-best 3:03.75.
Texas A&M also medalled in the Distance Medley Relay, where the team of Cameron Villareal, Carlyle Roudette, Gaines Kinsey and Isaac Spencer took second with a time of 9:46.00, 10th-best in school history.
The Texas A&M men were unable to capture any individual titles, but Taplin (400), Hart (200) and Latario Collie (triple jump) each took second place in their respective events for the Aggies.
Next up for the Aggie track team is the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 13-14 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.