Nancy Plakey-Videla stands in Evans Library on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024.(Abdurahman Azeez/The Battalion)
A&M professors discuss Texas border policies, legal clashes with federal government
Cameron Gibson, News Reporter • March 28, 2024

For a few hours, a new law known as Senate Bill 4, or SB4, went into effect on March 20, making crossing the border illegally a state crime.  The...

Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Arizona State on Friday, March. 1, 2024 at Globe Life Field. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Aschenbeck’s extended relief guides A&M to 9-7 win over Auburn
Luke White, Sports Editor • March 28, 2024

Senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck entered the sixth inning of Thursday’s game between Texas A&M baseball and Auburn in a situation that likely...

From feral to fostered
From feral to fostered
Camila Munoz, Life & Arts Writer • March 27, 2024

Texas A&M houses almost 70,000 students and nearly as many cats. The campus is home to a high feral cat population, most notably around Heldenfels...

Graphic of Jared Shult on TikTok
Jamming with Jared
March 27, 2024
The EV team displaying their car on March 24, 2024 at Aggie Park.
‘Rollout 2024’
March 25, 2024
Should an app that sexualizes kids still be permitted within the United States? Opinion columnist Bj Barnes says it’s time to ditch TikTok. (Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: Tick tock, TikTok
Bj Barnes, Opinion Columnist • March 28, 2024

The bipartisan bill that rocketed to the top of national headlines after passing the House 352-65 could spell doom for everyone’s favorite...

Texas construction, seen firsthand

Provided
SEAoT chapter members visit a construction after attending a meeting with structural engineering professionals.

Provided SEAoT chapter members visit a construction after attending a meeting with structural engineering professionals.  

Most engineering students receive their instruction in a classroom — not so for a group of civil engineering students who travel throughout Texas every month to tour construction sites and hear first-hand from professionals about their field.
Civil engineering students with Texas A&M’s Structural Engineers Association of Texas, SEAoT, chapter travel to construction sites and network with professionals across Texas every month. Student officers and members say the experiences gained through the organization help them professionally and expose them to the complex world of structural engineering.
Thursday saw 12 members travel to Houston to network with professionals, said Alejandro Zepeda, civil engineering senior and president of the SEAoT A&M chapter.
“The student chapter at Texas A&M University is affiliated to the Houston/Gulf Coast chapter of SEAoT. Being a member is a great opportunity for students interested in structural engineering to attend monthly meetings hosted by the Houston/Gulf Coast chapter,” Zepeda said. “Another thing we do is to plan a field trip every semester. The purpose of the field trip is to allow students to visit a construction site or an office of consulting engineers and to expose them to the professional world. Typically, the company presents the project they have been working on and afterwards we get to visit the job-site.”
Zepeda said Thursday’s visit was their second this year after a trip to Dallas last month.
“We asked them questions about their work and also about what we should be focusing on to be successful in the field,” Zepeda said. “One of the presenters was actually a geotechnical engineer. From his experience with the industry, he explained how a geotechnical engineer and a structural engineer need to work cooperatively to execute a project successfully.”
Selvakumar Viswanathan, structural engineering masters student and a SEAoT member who attended Thursday’s visit, spoke about the networking opportunities that have opened up to him since joining the student chapter.
“At the end of the meeting, I met with the professionals and obtained their contact information. I am sure developing a network will help me professionally as I start looking for internship or full-time job opportunities,” Viswanathan said.
Ashfaq Syed, structural engineering masters student and vice president of A&M’s SEAoT chapter, said the chapter also holds on-campus meetings attended by various researchers who showcase relevant research and an annual two-day Conference during the fall semester.
“SEAoT members and other structural engineers are welcome to attend these meetings. We also have semester picnics to take a break from the rigor of academics and have fun,” Syed said.
The organization mainly consists of graduate students specializing in structural engineering, but Zepeda said undergraduates are also welcome.