Nancy Plakey-Videla stands in Evans Library on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024.(Abdurahman Azeez/The Battalion)
A&M professors discuss Texas border policies, legal clashes with federal government
Cameron Gibson, News Reporter • March 28, 2024

For a few hours, a new law known as Senate Bill 4, or SB4, went into effect on March 20, making crossing the border illegally a state crime.  The...

Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Arizona State on Friday, March. 1, 2024 at Globe Life Field. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Aschenbeck’s extended relief guides A&M to 9-7 win over Auburn
Luke White, Sports Editor • March 28, 2024

Senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck entered the sixth inning of Thursday’s game between Texas A&M baseball and Auburn in a situation that likely...

From feral to fostered
From feral to fostered
Camila Munoz, Life & Arts Writer • March 27, 2024

Texas A&M houses almost 70,000 students and nearly as many cats. The campus is home to a high feral cat population, most notably around Heldenfels...

Graphic of Jared Shult on TikTok
Jamming with Jared
March 27, 2024
The EV team displaying their car on March 24, 2024 at Aggie Park.
‘Rollout 2024’
March 25, 2024
Should an app that sexualizes kids still be permitted within the United States? Opinion columnist Bj Barnes says it’s time to ditch TikTok. (Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: Tick tock, TikTok
Bj Barnes, Opinion Columnist • March 28, 2024

The bipartisan bill that rocketed to the top of national headlines after passing the House 352-65 could spell doom for everyone’s favorite...

Signing Day takeaways

1. Kyler Murray signs — but what about the MLB?
Murray, son of former A&M QB Kevin Murray, had an interesting stretch run to his commitment. Though he never wavered from his verbal, Charlie Strong and the Texas Longhorns made a push for the dual-threat QB’s services late, which included a promise to start as a freshman.
Murray possesses the talent to have succeeded at any school, but Kevin Sumlin has to feel better about his quarterback situation in the future. Kyle Allen had an impressive freshman year, and Murray will continue that success when it is his time to shine. Aggies now wait until June for the MLB draft, where Murray has a strong chance to go in the first round. Should he still choose college after the draft passes, he will be a two-sport athlete in his time at College Station.
2. Sumlin gets his man in Daylon Mack
Daylon Mack’s recruitment has been a roller coaster, to say the least. After an original verbal commitment made to the Aggies fell through on the same day LB Malik Jefferson announced his intentions to play for the Longhorns, Mack eventually ended up where he started with intentions to play for Sumlin. Mack targeted TCU and LSU after decommitting from Texas A&M, a move Sumlin countered by hiring John Chavis away from the Tigers to replace Mark Snyder as defensive coordinator.
3. Christian Kirk makes back-to-back Arizona stars
Five-star wide receiver Christian Kirk hails from Scottsdale, Arizona. That’s significant because of a 2014 signee, Kyle Allen, which makes two straight years in which Sumlin has swiped the top player in the state from Arizona. And because of their positions, it’s not out of the question to imagine plenty of throw-and-catch connections on Kyle Field between the two Arizona natives. Another interesting tidbit: Kirk scored touchdowns from six positions his senior season. That’s impressive.
4. Running the state
Rankings are subjective, and can only say so much. After all, Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans were both rated three-star recruits coming out of high school. A&M claimed commitments from the Gatorade National Players of the Year in Texas, Arizona and Louisiana. It gained the commitment of immediate impact players on defense such as Mack, Justin Davis, James Lockhart and more. Stars aside, these players will come in and solidify Sumlin’s great ability to recruit.
5. Next Martellus Bennett?
The 6-foot-4 tight end from Clear Lake has the ability to create significant offensive production from the position. With new coaching addition Dave Christensen working as run game coordinator and offensive line coach, Davis will have the ability to develop as a run blocker as well. Davis is already enrolled at Texas A&M and has a great shot at contributing early.
6. The defense will improve
Talent like Myles Garrett, Otaro Alaka, Armani Watts and more emerged on the defensive side of the ball. Some that were expected to produce before injury such as A.J. Hilliard will be ready to go in 2015. Recruits have been brought in to help out lack of depth at the lineback position. On top of all that, defensive guru Chavis is ready to run the show. A&M could very well jump in the top 40 of defenses for next year, if not higher. Coupled with a high-powered offense that only got stronger, this team is set to make noise next year.

•