A candleholder stands during the 100th annual Muster ceremony held at Reed Arena on Sunday, April 21, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
2024 Muster highlights the Aggie Spirit
Mia Putnam, Senior News Reporter • April 23, 2024

Every year, Muster reminds current and former students why we are called the Aggie family. This year was no different when thousands of Aggies...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of Aggie Replant pick up trash at Aggie Park on Feb. 5, 2024. (Photo courtesy of Mayra Puga)
Aggies come together to promote sustainability
Ayena Kaleemullah, Life & Arts Writer • April 22, 2024

As Earth Day arrives in Aggieland, talks about environmental action are growing. From planting trees to creating an impactful sustainable lifestyle,...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

From Kyle Field to the sport’s biggest stage: Aggies in the Super Bowl

Screenshot from Instagram
Screenshot from Instagram

DL Michael Bennett
“I would describe it as two angels dancing while chocolate is coming from the heavens on a nice Sunday morning.”
That’s how Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett described his sack dance, something he could very well display to the world during the Super Bowl. Bennett wasn’t always the star of the show like he was with the media all year, particularly recently.
Bennett was born in Louisiana but spent his childhood in Houston with his brother, Martellus, and together they attended and played football for Alief Taylor High School. Both signed with A&M.
After amassing 43 tackles and six tackles for loss in his junior year, Bennett was named honorable mention All-Big 12. By the start of his senior year, he became the full-time starter, and posted even better numbers than before. This time, Bennett hoarded 42 tackles and 12 tackles for loss, however he did not receive any post-season honors.
Bennett went undrafted and was added as a free agent to the Seahawks roster in 2009, after witnessing his brother bolt early from A&M and get drafted second round to the Cowboys. Four games into the season, Bennett was waived off the roster and joined the Buccaneers.
Bennett spent four years with Tampa Bay before rejoining Seattle. By being the leader in sacks with the Bucs in 2012 at nine, Seattle signed him to a one-year, $5 million contract. Although he started three games with them in 2013, Bennett tied as leader in sacks with 8.5, earning him a four-year, $28.5 million contract.
One year later, Bennett found himself fitting on his first Super Bowl ring. One more after that, fans witnessed a 6-foot-4, 270-pound lineman riding a bicycle in celebration of reaching his second straight championship game. -Carter Karels
RB Christine Michael
Running back Christine Michael received an early dose of Texas A&M through his head coach and Aggie Craig Stump at Beaumont West Brook High School. In 2009, Michael won the Walter Payton Trophy for the best high school football athlete.
Michael accepted a scholarship to play for the Aggies, and remained with them from 2009 to 2012. Michael shined in his freshman campaign, leading the team with 844 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns. He was named Big 12 Freshman of the Year.
His sophomore and junior seasons were cut short after suffering a broken leg against Texas Tech in 2010 and a knee injury against Oklahoma in 2011. In his senior campaign he ran for 417 yards on 88 attempts and scored a career-high 12 touchdowns. In his career at A&M, Michael ran the ball for 2,791 yards and 34 touchdowns.
In 2013, Michael entered the 2013 NFL Draft and was selected in the second round with the 62nd overall pick by the Seattle Seahawks. Currently, he is in his second season with the Seahawks and headed to his second Super Bowl.
Michael has seen limited carries in his career with the Seahawks — he is the back up to Pro Bowl running back Marshawn Lynch and Robert Turbin. In the 2013-14 season, he ran for 79 yards on 18 attempts, but has seen an increase in carries this season with 34 carries for 175 yards. -Conner Darland
DB Steven Terrell
While the Seattle Seahawks were busy winning their first Super Bowl, Steven Terrell never would have dreamed of being on their squad a year later. Terrell has had quite the journey as a free safety, from his time as a three-star recruit at Allen High School to winning the Cotton Bowl with Texas A&M to preparing a Super Bowl.
Terrell grew up in Dallas, Texas, and stayed close to home at Texas A&M from 2009 to 2012. In his first year, he played a limited role with the A&M defense but still saw game time as a true freshman.
In his second year, he played in all 13 games and recorded 46 total tackles as a sophomore. By his junior year, he became a household name on defense.
He excelled as a senior in Texas A&M’s first season in the SEC. He started every game and recorded 37 total tackles along with two interceptions and two forced fumbles.
Terrell was not drafted in the 2013 NFL Draft. He had stints with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Houston Texans before finding his current home in Seattle. He was signed to the team’s practice squad on August 31.
Terrell saw action in four games. He played with the special teams and in nickel packages after Byron Maxwell left the game due to injury. Terrell has been moved multiple times between the practice squad and the active roster. He was re-assigned January 6 to the active roster. -Lawrence Smelser
OL Patrick Lewis
About 34 miles west of New Orleans, Louisiana, on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River, lies the town of Reserve, population 9,111. Reserve is the hometown of Patrick Lewis, who was ranked at the end of his senior year the fourth-best center in the 2009 recruiting class. He had offers from Connecticut, Southern Mississippi and Tulsa before choosing to play for Texas A&M.
Lewis saw action in every game his freshman year, eventually becoming a starter for the last nine games in 2009. From there, he appeared in 51 games for the Aggies, starting in 48 consecutive games.
After moving from offensive guard to center after his sophomore season, Lewis earned All-Big 12 honors. In his senior season, Lewis earned All-SEC honors en route to an 11-2 finish, snapping the football to Heisman winning quarterback, Johnny Manziel.
After his senior year, Lewis entered the NFL draft, where he went undrafted. However, in free agency he was signed by the Green Bay Packers. Since then, he has had stints with the Jacksonville Jaguars and now Seattle. In his NFL career, Lewis has appeared in six games, starting in four of them. -Andre Perrard