A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Walk with purpose

PROVIDED
John Ball, Class of 1978, aims to travel across the country to raise money for an Aggie Ring scholarship. 
PROVIDED John Ball, Class of 1978, aims to travel across the country to raise money for an Aggie Ring scholarship. 

From Southern California’s golden coastline to the gulf stream waters of Florida, one former student plans to trek across the country. His goal is to cover 2,673 miles in 170 days, and raise $25,000 to create an endowed Aggie Ring scholarship.
Retired Air Force colonel and outdoor enthusiast John Ball, Class of ’78, said his years of an active lifestyle and training helped prepare him for the challenge.
“I love to walk, I used to run, but now walk because it’s better for my knees,” Ball said. “I generally walk 200 miles a month just for the exercise of it.”
Ball said his love for walking motivated him to plan a cross-country trek a while ago. For Ball, giving back to A&M, while still keeping it personal, was important.
“The idea began to formulate itself in my mind. I could create an endowment with the Association of Former Students, and I made it even more focused and personal by giving the endowed ring scholarship,” Ball said.
Nic Taunton, director of development at the Association of Former Students, said he was impressed by Ball’s dedication to the scholarship.
“I think what he’s doing is a unique and creative way to raise money for students,” Taunton said. “Other groups have raised Aggie Ring scholarships, but I’ve never seen one individual go to such lengths to raise awareness in every city he walks through, wearing his A&M T-shirt and throwing up a gig ‘em.”
Taunton said there have been 98 Aggie Rings awarded from endowment scholarships since its establishment in 2009.
Taunton said each endowment has $25,000. From this money, $1,000 accrues annually from interest. This money can be used to pay for one male ring or two female rings.
Ball said he felt the ring endowment scholarship would help reward hardworking students.
“I knew it would be worthwhile to actually be able to purchase a ring for someone who made it to that point in their academics,” Ball said.
All of the expenses that he will encounter on the walk are self-funded. Additionally, he will have no one else joining him on the route, no walking companion, no driver following him.
“I imagine that the boredom will be a major challenge, being without someone to talk to, 170 days on the road by myself,” Ball said. “And then there’s the sheer challenge of walking significant distance every day, day after day.”
However, Ball will not be totally alone. The hiker said his route considers cities throughout the country where Aggies reside.
“Of the 170 days, 93 of them will be in cities with Aggies,” Ball said.
Ball said he hopes his walk will continue to inspire those who are sympathetic to the cause of “The Walking Aggie Endowed Ring Scholarship.”
“No contribution is too large or too small,” Ball said.
All contributions can be made by visiting thewalkingaggie.com and clicking on the “donate here” tab.