Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

Design challenge gives students opportunity to create prototypes

Nearly 70 students, 20,000 square feet of workspace and 48 hours — the 2nd Aggies Invent, a two-day design challenge that gave students the chance to create prototypes meant to aid first responders, took place this weekend.
The teams gathered for the event at the Engineering Innovation Center and presented prototypes to a set of judges and first responders Sunday.
Rodney Boehm, EASA Industry Mentor, said the purpose of Aggies Invent is to challenge students to solve real-life problems related to the chosen theme.
“There are 27 needs that were identified by 11 first-responder organizations, ranging anywhere from dropping a GPS locator button to a victim after they have been located in the air to keeping police officers cool inside their vests, and so on,” Boehm said.
Boehm said the students are presented with different need statements at Friday’s kickoff event.
“They do a sort of speed-dating game,” Boehm said. “They go around and meet with all the representatives from the first-responder organizations and they are presented with the need statement of that organization, and they choose which need statement they want to focus on. The teams are formed based on the students who chose the same need statement.”
Julio Gonzales, computer science freshman, worked on a novel way to disable a fleeing vehicle. He said even if a team does not place in Sunday’s competition, the student can continue to work on their model if they choose to.
“On Thursday, if we choose to continue building, the first responders who gave us the need statement will let us know what resources they have available for us to build the real thing,” Gonzales said. “My team is working on a way to stop a fleeing vehicle for police officers, so the police officers told us that they would offer us two cars to work with if we choose to continue, which we definitely will.”
Gonzales said the goal of his project is to build something police officers can easily operate.
“A lot of people wanted to make really extravagant things when they chose their need statement,” Gonzales said. “But we only have 48 hours. So my team wanted to make something that a police officer can use without it being too complicated. We want it to be practical and safe.”
Melissa McNeill, computer science senior, worked with a team to develop a GPS button that can be dropped to a victim to identify their location. McNeill said Aggies Invent is about more than winning the competition.
“This is still an awesome thing to put on a resume and a great experience,” McNeill said. “I think that’s why most of us are doing it.”
Boehm said he feels the students benefit from the event by learning skills critical to their career fields.
“I think it’s beneficial for every one of them, freshman or PhD student,” Boehm said. “You learn how to work with what you’ve got and use the resources and the skills of your teammates to the team’s advantage. It’s a great experience.”
Elias Rosedahl, mechanical engineering sophomore, said although he didn’t know his teammates prior to Friday evening, he still feels they have worked together well together.
“I mean, we’re all here for the same thing and we want the same thing, so we’ve worked really well together to get there even though we don’t know each other very well,” Rosedahl said.
The team Vapor Space took first place for their invention a multipurpose tool. The creation combines five tools used by responders in hazmat suits, including a hammer, scraper, and various wrenches.
The team Vapor Space took first place for its invention — a multipurpose tool. The creation combines five tools used by responders in hazmat suits, including a hammer, scraper and various wrenches.
Photo by Vanessa Peña