A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Aggies sweep Auburn in first SEC competition

Jeff Dundas – THE BATTALION

The No. 22 Texas A&M volleyball team swept Auburn 3-0 on Sunday in the first SEC conference game of its season. Auburn (8-6, 0-2 SEC) lost to Florida on Friday before falling to the Aggies in Reed Arena Sunday.
“Our defense was so engaged,” Sullivan said. “Our service receive was great. [Stephanie Aiple] did a great job distributing the ball, seeing the block on the other side. She is great at that. It was just such a great team effort.”
The Aggies jumped out to a 7-1 lead in the first set when freshman setter Stephanie Aiple set up fellow freshman Ashlie Reasor. Reasor’s jump serve caused an attacking error for the Tigers and forced Auburn to call a timeout.
A&M never looked back, winning the first set 25-11.
The Aggies, who were off for six days before Sunday’s matchup, had time to prepare for their SEC foes.
“We had some time to really work on the things that were concerning to the coaches,” Head coach Laurie Corbelli said. “I felt like it really helped the team with the changes that we made.”
The second set started closer than the first, with five ties and four lead changes between the squads. Each side totaled double-digit kills, Auburn with 12 and A&M with 17. The Aggies trailed by no more than three points until Ashlie Reason’s five streak of jump-serves and Shelby Sullivan’s net play gave them a 14-12 lead. Sophomore libero Victoria Arenas registered seven digs, and her passes helped Aiple to 23 assists and Sullivan to 18 kills as A&M took the set 25-18.
In the third set A&M started behind, but a well-placed tip by Aiple and two consecutive kills by Babers gave the Aggies a 7-5 lead. A&M and Auburn tied nine times before the Aggies pulled away 20-14. Sullivan gave the Aggies 20 out of 48 of their kills, and Aiple 35 out of 39 assists. A&M would win the final set 25-15, its first SEC victory of the season.
“Setting is one of the toughest skills I think in all sports, to be accurate, to get the right height, the right pace, the right distance,” Corbelli said. “I’m amazed at what our setters can do, to locate [Sullivan] that often and that successfully. You know, I credit touch one and touch two as much as touch three.”
Almost doubling Auburn in points, A&M had 58 total. They also had a 44 percent hitting percentage, the highest A&M has ever had in an SEC match. Sullivan broke her own A&M record for hitting percentage in SEC play with a 82.6 percent hitting percentage.
“To me, that’s what an All-American is, ” Corbelli said. “She just plays the game so beautifully and so accurately, and it’s day in and day out.”