Texas A&M 3B Gavin Grahovac (9) celebrating a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The University of Houston on Tuesday, April 23, 2024 at Olsen Field (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Cougar containment
A candleholder stands during the 100th annual Muster ceremony held at Reed Arena on Sunday, April 21, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
2024 Muster highlights the Aggie Spirit
Mia Putnam, Senior News Reporter • April 23, 2024

Every year, Muster reminds current and former students why we are called the Aggie family. This year was no different when thousands of Aggies...

Sports writer Mathias Cubillan ranks a deep group of first-round-level offensive linemen in the upcoming 2024 NFL Draft. (Photo via Jonathan Moreau/Creative Commons)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round-graded offensive lineman
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 24, 2024

NFL draft coverage has exploded from a cottage industry to a full-scale industrial complex with a remarkable amount of glitz and glamor for an...

Cougar containment
Members of Aggie Replant pick up trash at Aggie Park on Feb. 5, 2024. (Photo courtesy of Mayra Puga)
Aggies come together to promote sustainability
Ayena Kaleemullah, Life & Arts Writer • April 22, 2024

As Earth Day arrives in Aggieland, talks about environmental action are growing. From planting trees to creating an impactful sustainable lifestyle,...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Razor-thin win, Razor-sharp confidence

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION

I was so ready to write about how pathetic A&M looked on Saturday. Sure, I expected Arkansas to run at will, like they do against every other team, but I had faith in the offense. For three quarters, I could not have been more wrong. Heisman hopeful Kenny Hill looked decidedly less than superhuman, and an Aggie offense that was averaging 55 points per game had managed just 14 in the game’s first 45 minutes.
And then they caught fire.
Maybe it was the magic of Johnny Football on the sideline or maybe it was inevitable, but the Aggie offense started clicking in the fourth quarter. Two huge pass plays gave the Aggies the momentum to finish an improbable victory. 21 unanswered points against an SEC West opponent away from home is no joke.
This team is for real.
Remember in 2012 when A&M was down-and-out against Ole Miss? Manziel hit Ryan Swope with just under two minutes to seal the win in Oxford. A&M was still looking to find an identity in its new conference before that win. Many players looked back on that game for the confidence that they could win any contest in the SEC.
That’s what this win over Arkansas will mean to this team.
The Aggies did not play well, and they know it. They didn’t “deserve” to win the game, but somehow they did. They fought and clawed their way back even when it looked like they had no chance. As the Aggies head into an absolute gauntlet of a schedule down the stretch, Kevin Sumlin and co. will be able to point their young team back to that afternoon in Arlington as proof that this team has the potential to win no matter what situation they find themselves in.
At least, that’s the plan, because it is going to get more difficult every week for the Aggies. In the next three weeks, A&M plays No. 12 Mississippi State, No. 11 Ole Miss and No. 3 Alabama – all undefeated and all poised to knock the Aggies season off track. If they somehow manage to make it through that, A&M still has No. 5 Auburn and No. 17 LSU on their plates.
They are ready.
This isn’t the 2011 team that found a way to choke in the second half of every game. This is a Kevin Sumlin-led team that finds a way to win in the most dire of circumstances. He has a team full of veteran leaders (Malcome Kennedy, Mike Matthews, Julien Obioha and Deshazor Everett) and young talent (Kenny Hill, Speedy Noil, Myles Garrett and Shaan Washington).
You might see a nail-biter win against an unranked Arkansas team as a dark cloud, but I see a silver lining.
These Aggies have tangible proof that they know how to fight back in tough games. The veterans have been here before. They remember Ole Miss. They remember 2012 Louisiana Tech. They remember the Bama game. They remember the Duke game. And now the entire team can remember this game.
A&M has the talent, coaching staff and gumption to win this season. I’m not talking about just next week. I’m not talking about just the SEC West. I’m not talking about just the conference championship.
Will this team rise to the occasion? I have no idea. But I do know that there is not a team in the country that isn’t terrified at the thought of facing these Fighting Texas Aggies.
Tyler Stafford is an interdisciplinary studies senior and sports editor for The Battalion.