Photo Courtesy of TAMU Build
BUILD is breaking ground for an updated home
Mikayla Martinez, News Writer • April 24, 2024

Students have come together to build clinics out of shipping containers to provide increased healthcare worldwide — a reflection of the Aggie...

Junior Mary Stoiana reacts to her winning set at Texas A&Ms match against Florida on Sunday, March 3, 2024, at the Mitchell Tennis Center. (© Connor May/The Battalion)
Stoiana named SEC Player of the Year, Perez earns Freshman of the Year honors
Luke White, Sports Editor • April 24, 2024

Texas A&M women’s tennis is still on its quest for a national title, but several players have already captured hardware to take home. Junior...

The Yell Leaders pose for a photo in the 12th Man Plaza on Monday, March 18, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
A Spirit Can Ne'er Be Told
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 24, 2024

“Hump it, Ags!” For the newbies unbeknownst to the phrase, you may think it’s some kind of weird, unwanted sexual innuendo. It’s not,...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Hard-nosed, smash mouth football

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION

In a matchup of two old Southwest Conference rivals, it’s only fitting the Aggies scrap against Arkansas this weekend be characterized in one way: physical, tough, gritty, throwback football.
Of course, when going up against the team that leads the SEC in rushing, you’d expect nothing less. The Razorbacks run the ball with gusto, so much so that they did it 30 times in a row to end their 49-28 win over Texas Tech. Simply put, the Hogs know what they’re going to do, everyone else knows what they’re going to do and they live by the moniker “I triple-dog dare you” to stop us.
That’s not to say it’ll be a one-way street when it comes to pounding the rock Saturday, as A&M is very capable of putting hats on hats and bullying teams around itself. The Aggies are even better equipped to run the ball this year behind key pieces in 6-foot-6, 277-pound tight end Cameron Clear and 6-foot-5, 235-pound slot receiver Ricky Seals-Jones, who are mismatches in run-blocking against smaller linebackers and corners.
Offensive coordinator Jake Spavital has also shown more commitment to the run game, utilizing the pistol formation and even some jumbo, no wide receiver sets (gasp, an Air Raid team that can be physical) utilizing fullbacks and extra linemen, particular in goal line situations. A&M’s physicality along the line of scrimmage makes them much more potent on the ground than they’re often given credit for.
Here’s a fun fact: the Aggies actually outrushed the Hogs last year in Fayetteville, totaling 262 rushing yards on 44 attempts while Arkansas had just 201 on 33. For me, the most memorable drive of the game was A&M’s second offensive possession of the third quarter. The Aggies rolled up their sleeves, bit down on their mouthpieces and rushed nine consecutive times on a 68-yard touchdown drive that sapped 4:32 seconds of clock and gave the Razorbacks a taste of their own medicine.
Surprisingly, A&M’s only other offensive touchdown in the second half of last year’s contest came on another drive where the Aggies exclusively ran the ball, this one a seven-play, 57-yarder. The Razorbacks didn’t respond well to having the script flipped on them, which in turn enabled A&M to control the ball more and keep the defense on the sidelines, something we all were happy to see last year.
If Arkansas keeps it close again in the first half Saturday in Arlington, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sumlin adjust to a ground attack again this go-round. The Aggies have the horses along the line to dominate a Razorback front four that has only two players over 300 pounds in the two-deep, and an underrated part of A&M’s game is utilizing it’s lengthier, more physical receivers to block on the perimeter.
Either way you look at it, A&M’s first SEC West showdown of the season may look a little like the football of old, where tight ends, defensive lineman and fullbacks are licking their chops to hit somebody every play. And who can complain, as it’s always fun to watch some good ole hard-nosed, smash-mouth, run-it-down-your-throat football.
Patrick Crank is a telecommunication media studies senior and the football editor for The Battalion.