Reveille VIII part of long line that dates back to 1931

The First Lady of Aggieland has had a lot of excitement in the past few days.
From the recent announcement of her retirement to almost being trampled by a SMU wide receiver, Reveille VIII has been in a constant state of movement alongside her Mascot Corporal Ryan Kreider and the rest of her Company E-2 family.
Interim University President Mark Hussey announced in an email Thursday that Reveille VIII would retire following Final Review in the spring.
“This decision was reached in consultation with her veterinarians at the College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences,” Hussey said in the email. “Reveille VIII, who turns nine years old next spring, has participated in hundreds of athletic events, student programs and other activities since coming to campus in August 2008, and is most deserving of this time of rest and relaxation.”
Reveille VIII, also referred to as “Miss Rev” on the Quad, is the highest-ranking member of the Corps of Cadets. She is housed by E-2, the Mascot Company, and cared for by the Company’s sophomore class.
Sport management sophomore Ryan Kreider, the 2014-2015 mascot corporal, is Reveille VIII’s handler.
“Rev is my best girl,” Kreider said. “The majority of my free time goes toward her. She knows she’s the queen.”
The tradition of Reveille has been in place since 1931 when a group of cadets coming back from Navasota hit a mutt on the road with their vehicle. Intending to bring the dog to the veterinary school for medical attention the following morning, they smuggled her into their dorm. However, the dog’s existence was discovered the following morning when Reveille was played and the dog started loudly barking. From then on, the cadets referred to the dog as Reveille. After that it was deemed that Reveille be adopted as Texas AMC’s mascot.
“In Company 2, we take a lot of pride in having Rev in our outfit and it’s always been like that,” Kreider said. “Ever since the first handler — he was in A-Quartermaster, which would later become, in 1959, Company E-2 — we’ve always had her. We take extreme pride in being the Mascot Company and we also understand that that is a huge responsibility.”
Assistant Mascot Corporals Justin Martinez, international studies sophomore, and Rob McMillan, zoology sophomore, fill in for Kreider periodically.
“I get a lot of the attention and I get to be on the field with her and take her to events but I could not do my job without my buddies,” Kreider said. ”They honestly do so much for me when I can’t watch her or if I have to pick something up real quick off campus. They are always there to watch her.”
Following his or her term as mascot corporal, the cadet is promoted to mascot sergeant during junior year and later mascot officer as a senior. These cadets serve as guides to the current mascot corporal and help with the transition between handlers.
“Reveille VIII is very relaxed,” said Daylon Koster, mascot officer and 2012-2013 mascot corporal. “She’s gone to so many events and is always so calm, cool and collected — very experienced. She’s definitely a veteran at what she does.”
Reveille VIII will retire to the Stevenson Companion Animal Life-Care Center on campus. A committee of 12 people is being formed to select Reveille IX.
“I will be on the committee to select Reveille IX,” said Scott Evetts, the senior commanding officer of Company E-2 and mechanical engineering senior. “I’m the only member of E-2 who will be a part of that committee.”
The committee will be chaired by interim Vice President Tom Reber. It will immediately begin efforts to select the new mascot for Texas A&M. More information will be available once the committee is finalized. Until then, Reveille VIII will continue to serve as the First Lady of Aggieland and remain with her E-2 family.