Nancy Plakey-Videla stands in Evans Library on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024.(Abdurahman Azeez/The Battalion)
A&M professors discuss Texas border policies, legal clashes with federal government
Cameron Gibson, News Reporter • March 28, 2024

For a few hours, a new law known as Senate Bill 4, or SB4, went into effect on March 20, making crossing the border illegally a state crime.  The...

Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Arizona State on Friday, March. 1, 2024 at Globe Life Field. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Aschenbeck’s extended relief guides A&M to 9-7 win over Auburn
Luke White, Sports Editor • March 28, 2024

Senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck entered the sixth inning of Thursday’s game between Texas A&M baseball and Auburn in a situation that likely...

From feral to fostered
From feral to fostered
Camila Munoz, Life & Arts Writer • March 27, 2024

Texas A&M houses almost 70,000 students and nearly as many cats. The campus is home to a high feral cat population, most notably around Heldenfels...

Graphic of Jared Shult on TikTok
Jamming with Jared
March 27, 2024
The EV team displaying their car on March 24, 2024 at Aggie Park.
‘Rollout 2024’
March 25, 2024
Should an app that sexualizes kids still be permitted within the United States? Opinion columnist Bj Barnes says it’s time to ditch TikTok. (Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: Tick tock, TikTok
Bj Barnes, Opinion Columnist • March 28, 2024

The bipartisan bill that rocketed to the top of national headlines after passing the House 352-65 could spell doom for everyone’s favorite...

Student advocate becomes town ‘Honored Hero’

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION

Communication senior Bridget Riley was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease during her sophomore year of high school.

Bridget Reily, a communication senior, has become a leading spokesperson for Crohn’s disease awareness in her hometown of Tyler, Texas.
Since being diagnosed with Crohn’s five years ago during her sophomore year of high school, she has become highly involved in her local chapter of Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, CCFA, an organization that promotes awareness and raises funds for Crohn’s disease research.
“After a trip to the doctor we quickly realized that what we thought was a terrible stomach bug was something much more serious,” Reily said. “After a few tests and procedures, I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease.”
Dr. Narendra Kumar, an associate professor at A&M, specializes in Crohn’s disease research.
“Crohn’s disease is a chronic inflammatory condition of the gastrointestinal tract and belongs to a group of conditions commonly known as inflammatory bowel disease,” Kumar said. “Currently there is no cure to this disease.”
According to CCFA, 70,000 new cases are diagnosed every year.
“Since the past four decades, CCFA has been at the forefront of [inflammatory bowel disease] research with 50,000 members and worldwide collaborations,” Kumar said. “Today, both CCFA and the National Institutes of Health actively support research in the field, and there are approximately 80 new therapies in the pipeline.”
While Crohn’s Disease is a life-altering disease that impacts daily routine, Reily said she was able to find hope.
“I feel like a big part of my story has been finding joy and success despite of the difficulties,” Reily said. “My faith has been a really big part of my journey with Crohn’s. In a weird way Crohn’s has been a huge blessing in my life because it has taught me that I can be strong. I can have joy even in the midst of the pain of Crohn’s.”
Since her diagnosis, Reily has become an active advocate for Crohn’s disease awareness.
Through the “Take Steps” for Crohn’s and Colitis program, CCFA chapters host walks to sponsor those diagnosed with the disease and raise money.
Reily will participate in the October walk with a goal of raising $500 for each year that she has had Crohn’s disease. She has currently raised $1,785 of her $2,500 goal.
In addition to raising funds for the CCFA, she is also this year’s “Honored Hero,” someone who stands out for using their story for awareness.
Al James, walk manager of “Take Steps” in Tyler, Texas, commended Riley for her strength.
James said Reily has a passion for helping other people that are fighting the same difficulties that she faces every day.
“Most people her age have never had to deal with anything like this, she really does this with dignity and grace,” James said. “To be able to step forward and put a face on it so others can speak out and feel comfortable to talk about their disease, that is how we are going to get closer to finding a cure.”
In addition to her advocacy for Crohn’s disease, Reily is a fulltime student at A&M. Riley said she was grateful for the Disability Services on campus.
“I just love A&M’s disability program because they really try to personalize the program to your needs,” Reily said. “That is a big reason why I have been able to be so successful here.”
Reily said she wants to continue advocating for Crohn’s disease advocate after graduation.
“My goal is to educate people about what it really means to live with Crohn’s and colitis,” Reily said. “I feel like Crohn’s is more about that you never know how you are going to feel. You never know if you are going to be able to do certain things. I just want people to know what it is really like and how it really affects you.”