Texas A&M 3B Gavin Grahovac (9) celebrating a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The University of Houston on Tuesday, April 23, 2024 at Olsen Field (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Cougar containment
A candleholder stands during the 100th annual Muster ceremony held at Reed Arena on Sunday, April 21, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
2024 Muster highlights the Aggie Spirit
Mia Putnam, Senior News Reporter • April 23, 2024

Every year, Muster reminds current and former students why we are called the Aggie family. This year was no different when thousands of Aggies...

Sports writer Mathias Cubillan ranks a deep group of first-round-level offensive linemen in the upcoming 2024 NFL Draft. (Photo via Jonathan Moreau/Creative Commons)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded offensive lineman
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 24, 2024

NFL draft coverage has exploded from a cottage industry to a full-scale industrial complex with a remarkable amount of glitz and glamor for an...

Cougar containment
The Yell Leaders pose for a photo in the 12th Man Plaza on Monday, March 18, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
A Spirit Can Ne'er Be Told
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 24, 2024

“Hump it, Ags!” For the newbies unbeknownst to the phrase, you may think it’s some kind of weird, unwanted sexual innuendo. It’s not,...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Record freshmen class strains FLOs, sororities

photo by Lindsey Gawlik
FLO counselors promote their groups outside the Academic Building.

photo by Lindsey Gawlik FLO counselors promote their groups outside the Academic Building.  

Ten thousand freshmen are searching campus to find the perfect fit among more than 1,000 student organizations, and many look to Freshmen Leadership Organizations and Greek Life. However, with the record freshman class, these organizations have to reject more freshmen than in recent years.
A&M sororities had 1,300 women go through recruitment and were unable to accept about 300. Because Blinn Team students are now allowed to go through recruitment, this year was the largest recruiting year in A&M history.
Bethany Nolan, panhellenic president and agricultural communications and journalism senior, said in coming years sororities will look into ways to allow more students into their organizations.
“We hope to improve our schedule so that we can accommodate more women going through recruitment,” Nolan said.
After panhellenic sorority recruitment ended, FLO recruitment hit its stride. Recruitment started on Monday, and Ian Fortney, director of Federal Leadership Advisory Council and finance senior, said FLOs expect an increase in applications.
Last year, Fortney said 3,000 freshmen applied, but just under 1,000 were accepted into a FLO.
The first FLO was started in 1978 and there are now 16, which Fortney said are all intended to enhance leadership ability in freshmen. Some FLOs are affiliated with the MSC while others have focuses like service, Student Government Association and Class Councils.
Despite the increase in enrollment, FLOs will likely choose to maintain their planned size.
Holly Warwick, director of Freshman Leaders in Christ, said organizational structure keeps her FLO from taking more freshmen.
“If we changed the number of freshman we accepted we would also have to change the number of staff that we have, but we made our staff last year, so at this time we are not able to do that,” Warwick said.
Ayland Letsinger, director of Aggie Fish Club, said changing the number of members could compromise the organization.
Common among FLOs is the idea that FLOs are unique because they take a manageable group of freshmen and turn them into a family. The concern is if the numbers were increased, it would become harder to accomplish that trademark closeness.
Matthew Smith, biomedical science sophomore from ASSIST, said they have a strict cap of 48 members.
“If you have a working business model, you want to keep it that way,” Smith said. “ASSIST was a blast last year, and we want to keep it as consistent as possible.”
One way to incorporate more freshmen is to add more FLOs. This year, two degree-specific FLOs were added — Freshman Leaders in Education and Human Development, FLED, and Freshman Reaching Excellence in Engineering, FREE. Mckenzie Maclehan, allied health sophomore from FLED, said adding FLOs gives more students the opportunity to get involved.
“At some point each FLO becomes too big, and you don’t get that individual unique experience,” Fortney said. “We really try to have a personalized experience.”
While he said FLOs are a good transitional organization for students as they enter college, Letsinger offered some advice for those who do not make it in to a FLO.
“If you don’t get in, it’s not the end of the world,” Letsinger said. “Things are going to happen the way it needs to.”
FLO applications are due by 5 p.m. Friday in Koldus 104.