Post Classifieds

No. 20 women's hoops team travels to No. 13 Georgia

By Charity Chambers
On January 17, 2013

The No. 20 Texas A&M womens basketball team will travel to Athens, GA., on Sunday to take on the No. 13 Georgia Bulldogs.

The Aggies have lost all but one of their games against ranked opponents but assistant coach Bob Starkey said they hope to turn the momentum around.

One of the focuses of our team this week will be to try and clean up our turnovers and some of the mistakes weve made in playing some of the nationally ranked teams that weve fallen short on, Starkey said. Thats the opportunity were going to have at Georgia.

The Aggies began the season with a tough schedule, facing Top 10 nationally ranked opponents in their first three games. Nevertheless the Aggies have managed to attain a 13-5 record and junior center Kelsey Bone has begun to make her mark this year.

Bone is No. 4 in the nation in field goal percentage and No. 36 in rebounds. In the past five games Bone has managed five double-doubles her longest streak yet.

In the weekly press conference, Bone said she doesnt like the break the women have in their schedule, but it does give them extra time to prepare for Georgia.

I think it sucks because weve gotten into a groove, Bone said. But those little details and those small things that weve kind of been troubling with when playing these types of opponents, we have a couple of more days to prepare.

The Aggies are 3-1 in SEC play after a tough 65-62 loss against No. 6 Kentucky last week and will face another tough opponent against Georgia.

Georgias senior forward Jasmine Hassell was named SEC Player of the week Monday after scoring 21 points against Alabama and 19 against South Carolina. She made over 68 percent of her shots in both games combined. Hassell has been a key component for Georgias offense this season, especially when it comes to big games.

Georgias offense is ranked No. 32 while the Aggies offense is ranked No. 34, so it will be an offensive battle for these two teams. Nevertheless, A&M freshman guard Jordan Jones said they will be prepared Sunday to play Georgia.

We have to go back into the practice gym and just work on the little things we have to do in order to play Georgia, Jones said.

Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

More thebatt News Articles

Recent thebatt News Articles

Discuss This Article

MOST POPULAR THEBATT NEWS

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded