Baseball team prepares for visiting Pepperdine
The first weekend of A&M baseball started with a sputter before picking up momentum in the series win. In a three-game series against Pepperdine at home, A&M hopes any offseason rust has been shaken off.
After dropping the opening game of the season to the University of Illinois at Chicago, A&M recovered to outscore its opponents by a combined margin of 25-9 during its four-game early season win streak.
We always have expectations, senior infielder Mikey Reynolds said. Expectations are high with great talent and we expect to compete.
The No. 24 Aggies (4-1) have had solid outings performances from each of their starting pitchers and bullpen so since the far this season began. As a team, they have not allowed more than three runs in a game and are allowing an average total of less than two runs per game.
They will be tested against a Pepperdine team that started the season winning four straight before losing their most recent game to No. 20 Cal State Fullerton, 6-3.
A&M has seen great performances from its leadoff hitter and shortstop, Mikey Reynolds. Through five games, Reynolds has posted a batting average of .526 and recently went 4-5 with three stolen bases and two runs batted in against Stephen F. Austin. He has been a big part of the offense so far by getting himself into scoring position, recording fivestolen bases this season.
[Reynolds] is very important to our team, head coach Rob Childress said. He is a catalyst at the top of our lineup.
Junior catcher Troy Stein has made an impact on both the defensive and offensive side. Through the four games he has played, Stein has recorded a batting average of .294 with a double and two runs scored. Hehas also been a key piece in the middle of the lineup, recently going 3-5 against SFA, and has been vital behind the plate with some of the younger pitchers.
As a team, Texas A&M has averaged five runs per game, scoring five or more in three straight games. Pepperdine is entering the three-game series averaging over seven runs per game and is looking to bounce back from its first loss of the season.
Were going to score more runs, Stein said. We have got to be better offensively.
In order for the Aggies to have success this weekend, they will have to slow down the Waves first baseman Sam Meyer. During Pepperdines four-game sweep over Western Michigan to start the season, Meyer went 7-15 with three doubles, a home run and eight runs batted in and was named West Coast Conference Player of the Week.
The series opens at 6:35 p.m. on Friday night at Blue Bell Park. The Aggies only loss of the season came from a night game that started at the same time, but have since bounced back to defeat Texas Southern in their second night game, making them 1-1 on the season after dark.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thebatt News Articles
Recent thebatt News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEBATT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEBATT NEWS
- Montgomery and Fletcher finish top 40 in NCAA cross country championships
- Equestrian upsets Georgia in first SEC win of the season
- A&M downs Arizona 7-2, advances to Sweet 16
- Aggies take win over Charleston in Puerto Rico Tip-Off
- To solve health problems, there needs to be innovative solutions
- Council for Minority Student Affairs celebrates executive orders
- Panel to highlight connections between health care and technology
RECENT THEBATT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge