A&M throttles Arkansas-Fort Smith, 102-29
With the number two recruiting class of 2012 in the country, No. 12 Texas A&M womens basketball team defeated Arkansas Fort-Smith Lions 102-29 in the only exhibition game of the season Thursday.
This was an easy win for The Aggies despite the departure of longtime associate head coach Vic Schaefer. Schaefer is now the head coach at conference opponent Mississippi State and will face A&M late in the season. Before leaving, Schaefer said he will have mixed emotions about competing against Texas A&M womens basketball head coach and longtime friend, Gary Blair.
I have mixed emotions about it but you know its one game. Schaefer said. Theyll have a great team, they have the number 2 recruiting class in the country so theyre going to be good.
Texas A&M junior Kelsey Bone led all scorers with 14 points and senior Cierra Windham followed with 12. The excitement of the players showed before the game.
On a Facebook post Bone said, Its gameday! #moneytime.
That excitement translated onto the court as The Aggies put up a triple digit score which hasnt been accomplished since 2010.
The Aggies never gave the Lions a chance to lead as they got off to an early 12-2 start. It was no turning back for The Aggies as their opponent failed to put up a good fight. During the first half, The Aggies went on a 33-0 run that would put them at a 54-14 lead at halftime. Coach Blair said all the players were ready to play and he expects good things from the recruiting class this season.
I think we just came out ready to play, Coach Blair said. I thought all 14 kids were ready to play and they all did a great job. This recruiting class is going to be good; once they learn the system and get some games against better competition they'll be great."
The Aggies have a tough schedule ahead of them; facing top 10 teams in their first three games. Despite tough competition, the 2010 National Champions will seek to take back the championship.
To start the quest, the Aggies will face No. 9 Louisville in Kentucky on November 9 at 6 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thebatt News Articles
Recent thebatt News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEBATT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEBATT NEWS
RECENT THEBATT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”
- CDA Launches New Digital Copper Learning Center