27 and 17 from Bone silence Ole Miss
Well-guarded, Texas A&M freshman guard Courtney Walker dribbled the ball from one side of the court to another taking on all five payers to go up for two points just seconds before halftime. The basket proved indicative of the evening for A&M.
The Ole Miss Rebels proved to be no contest for the No. 10 Texas A&M women's basketball team as the Aggies got off to a 12-4 start Thursday night at Reed Arena and went on to an 82-53 win.
Even while triple-teaming junior All-American candidate Kelsey Bone, the Rebels still didn't have an answer. Bone scored 24 points and pulled in a career-high 17 rebounds despite being benched because of the early lead.
In Monday's game against Kentucky, freshman guard Peyton Little did less than impress as she went 1 for 5 from the field and failed to make any three pointers. But Little made up for it against the Rebels as she shot 100% from behind the arch.
Little said she adjusted her mentality going into this game.
I just have to learn not to think when Im shooting. Little said. I have to just let it fly and just let it come to me. Ive hit some shots throughout the season so I feel like Im a pretty good shooter and I just need to learn to play and let the game come to me.
With contributions from everyone on the floor, the Aggies extended their lead to 22-6, with under 12 minutes left to play in the first half.
Most of the A&M starters were given a rest as A&M head coach Gary Blair watched the lead grow. Blair said there wont be many more games that will allow him the privilege.
We had about five more turnovers than I would have liked. Blair said. But when you play 13 players thats whats going to happen because youre giving everybody a chance. Theres not going to be a whole lot of chances to play that many kids every night. Id love to, but this isnt little league.
The Rebels, who are now 2-10 in conference play, showed a lack of communication and teamwork the first half with just two assists. Their lack of communication translated to the scoreboard as they went into halftime trailing 40-28.
Despite trailing, the Rebels came out on fire the second half and went on an 8-0 run to put them within 10 points of the Aggies the closest they'd come the entire game.
The Aggies quickly put a stop to the Rebels and led by 20, 58-38, with less than 12 minutes to play in the game and the Rebels never came close to the Aggies again. A&M went on to win the game 82-53.
This game the Aggies focused more on passing the ball, and getting the ball in the paint. The Aggies ended up with a total of 22 assists which is the most theyve had in five games.
Bone said Coach Blair told them to just go back to the basics.
Coach Blair said Were going back to the bread and butter, Bone said. Were getting the ball inside. Thats what won us the national championship so why stop doing it now?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thebatt News Articles
Recent thebatt News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEBATT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEBATT NEWS
- A&M falls to LSU on controversial call
- Halftime Notes: Aggies trail LSU 17-7
- Aggies begin their Thanksgiving journey through Mississippi, sweep Bulldogs...
- Soccer team: 'We need the 12th Man'
- Fuel for the Aggie spirit: Wednesday’s bonfire burn marks the conclusion of...
- Futbol to football: Lambo readies for last game
- Texas A&M women’s basketball holds competition with $10,000 prize
RECENT THEBATT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge