Golf course renovations in preliminary stage but remain on schedule
Texas A&M began reconstructing its golf course last October with A&Ms 2013 Football schedule in mind. Sterling Golf Management hired Landscapes Unlimited to renovate the course in time for the 2013 football season next September.
The course is undergoing complete reconstruction in hopes that it will be more marketable against other golf courses such as the Briarcrest and Pecan Lakes courses.
The construction is still in its first phase the dirt-moving phase but is moving along as planned despite some minor issues.
Were moving dirt and shaping all the features that will be on the golf course, Brian Vitek, a project manager with Landscapes Unlimited said. Your time constraints are probably the biggest thing. It has been wet, but other than that, thats really it.
This phase is the most susceptible to setbacks because it is the most sensitive to weather conditions like rain, which make it difficult for workers to get the bulldozers on the course.
Once the holes and course routes are shaped in the first construction phase, the second and third phases projects will begin: installation of the irrigation system and grass, respectively. Finally, time will be given to allow for a growing period for the grass until the course is playable again.
What we are trying to do and will do is really incorporate the campus background into the golf course, Rene Rangel, chief executive officer for the project with Sterling Golf Management said. This is about capturing the feel of being on Campus and at Texas A&M.
According to Rangel, the atmosphere of playing in a golf course located right here on campus is key to what will draw in more players. The Recreational Sports department originally considered these renovations necessary, as the course was offering no competition to other local courses.
Our choice would be to shut it down or renovate it, Dennis Corrington, executive director of Recreation Sports said. It wasnt competing very well on the public market for golf courses because of the old grass and the playing conditions.
In addition to the new grass and routing that will improve the course for all players, the course will boast a brand new irrigation system. The 18-hole course was previously maintained by 350 sprinkler heads. The new course will have more than 1,200.
This is a totally new project, Rangel said. Usually when coming onto a golf course like that, it would be furnishing over what is there. This will be 100 percent different.
The new course is the creation of Texas A&M graduate and architect, Jeff Bloom, but will still offer some familiarity to its regular players.
Its going to be a lot better golf course, Corrington said. Its going to be a lot more attractive to play on. Its always been a bit of an attraction for alumni contacts, and now that its a first class golf course I think it will bring in quite a bit of business. Well be able to compete with the best public golf courses in this area.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thebatt News Articles
Recent thebatt News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEBATT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEBATT NEWS
- 'Art of love, Love of art' event to showcase music, poetry
- Former astronaut to present scholarship
- International Space Station unites US and Russia
- Remembering the first manned space launch
- US space policy shifts with privatizated contract
- ‘Constellation song’ prof unpacks peculiarities of telescopic research
- ‘The King’ comes to A&M with new Cushing display
RECENT THEBATT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections