MSC opens bold exhibition, features Mesoamerican art
With the start of another semester comes a new exhibit at James Reynolds Student Art Gallery in the MSC. Kathy Sosa, a mixed media artist from San Antonio, presents her Mesoamerican-inspired art in a brilliant display of bold colors, portraits and abstract themes.
The gallery opened Wednesday with a new look and feel as the MSC welcomed Kathy Sosas latest series. Her two sequences, Huipiles: a Celebration and Trees of Life, will decorate the gallery in a mix of oils, paints and fabric. Sosa said both series feature women, with Huipiles: a Celebration comprised primarily of portraits and Trees of Life highlighting the theological concept of connections in life.
Huipiles is basically over-the-top portraits with fabrics and textiles in the backgrounds, Sosa said. Trees of Life has the figures of women connected with trees in various ways.
Huipiles is what originally garnered recognition for Sosa, having been displayed at the Mexican Cultural Institute in Washington D.C. for the 2007 summer season of Mexico at the Smithsonian. Her work has also been recognized by CNN, FiberArts magazine, Skirtl, San Antonio Woman magazine, Country Lifestyle and Destinations.
Sosas pieces, inspired by Mexican folk art and Mesoamerican culture, are comprised of multiple mediums such as oils, gold leaf, wallpaper and fabric. Sosa said the technique is accomplished through collages and layering.
I used oil on canvas primarily, Sosa said. I also did some oil portraits with collaging.
Dina Wooten, Kathy Sosas assistant, said the art fits perfectly with the atmosphere of the gallery and the start of a new semester.
I think its going to be a great compliment to its surroundings, Wooten said. The art itself, theres so much going on with the colors and patterns that she uses with her style. Its just very unique. Im excited to get there and actually see the exhibit.
Sosa said she hopes the exhibit has an impact on its viewers and introduces them to new styles and techniques.
I hope people find beauty and pleasure in them, Sosa said. I hope they look at it and see something they can connect with.
With a one-person exhibition, Sosa said shes excited and honored to be featured in the A&M gallery and for students to be introduced to her work.
The fact that the University wanted to give me this exhibition is a huge honor, Sosa said. Its so exciting when a university like this expresses an interest in the show.
Kelly Smith, senior kinesiology major, said shes excited to see the exhibit and impressed with the University and their advocacy of the arts.
As far as the art goes, it seems like shes painting really emotional pieces, Smith said. I think its really cool that the University brings exhibits like this [to the MSC]. You dont have to go to a museum to enjoy the art.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thebatt News Articles
Recent thebatt News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEBATT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEBATT NEWS
- Madison Parker: Poetry as an outlet
- Sustainability Panel: A&M faculty and environmental activists from Houston...
- Athletes gear up for weeklong Aggies Can food drive
- Pat Green, Jamey Johnson hit B-CS for festival
- Soccer SEC Championship clincher could come during weekend slate
- A&M volleyball hosts Georgia, Tennessee
- Men's swimming and diving to square off against Incarnate Word
RECENT THEBATT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR