MSC opens bold exhibition, features Mesoamerican art
With the start of another semester comes a new exhibit at James Reynolds Student Art Gallery in the MSC. Kathy Sosa, a mixed media artist from San Antonio, presents her Mesoamerican-inspired art in a brilliant display of bold colors, portraits and abstract themes.
The gallery opened Wednesday with a new look and feel as the MSC welcomed Kathy Sosas latest series. Her two sequences, Huipiles: a Celebration and Trees of Life, will decorate the gallery in a mix of oils, paints and fabric. Sosa said both series feature women, with Huipiles: a Celebration comprised primarily of portraits and Trees of Life highlighting the theological concept of connections in life.
Huipiles is basically over-the-top portraits with fabrics and textiles in the backgrounds, Sosa said. Trees of Life has the figures of women connected with trees in various ways.
Huipiles is what originally garnered recognition for Sosa, having been displayed at the Mexican Cultural Institute in Washington D.C. for the 2007 summer season of Mexico at the Smithsonian. Her work has also been recognized by CNN, FiberArts magazine, Skirtl, San Antonio Woman magazine, Country Lifestyle and Destinations.
Sosas pieces, inspired by Mexican folk art and Mesoamerican culture, are comprised of multiple mediums such as oils, gold leaf, wallpaper and fabric. Sosa said the technique is accomplished through collages and layering.
I used oil on canvas primarily, Sosa said. I also did some oil portraits with collaging.
Dina Wooten, Kathy Sosas assistant, said the art fits perfectly with the atmosphere of the gallery and the start of a new semester.
I think its going to be a great compliment to its surroundings, Wooten said. The art itself, theres so much going on with the colors and patterns that she uses with her style. Its just very unique. Im excited to get there and actually see the exhibit.
Sosa said she hopes the exhibit has an impact on its viewers and introduces them to new styles and techniques.
I hope people find beauty and pleasure in them, Sosa said. I hope they look at it and see something they can connect with.
With a one-person exhibition, Sosa said shes excited and honored to be featured in the A&M gallery and for students to be introduced to her work.
The fact that the University wanted to give me this exhibition is a huge honor, Sosa said. Its so exciting when a university like this expresses an interest in the show.
Kelly Smith, senior kinesiology major, said shes excited to see the exhibit and impressed with the University and their advocacy of the arts.
As far as the art goes, it seems like shes painting really emotional pieces, Smith said. I think its really cool that the University brings exhibits like this [to the MSC]. You dont have to go to a museum to enjoy the art.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thebatt News Articles
Recent thebatt News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEBATT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEBATT NEWS
RECENT THEBATT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership