Student groups express opposing views regarding Islamic practices

Published: Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 22:07

"These are the truths you aren't supposed to know!" reads the flier Texas Aggie Conservatives handed out Tuesday in front of Sbisa Dining Center.

TAC passed out two fliers, the first titled "Islam: Oppression of Women," and the second was titled "Fundamental Islam: Deceiving the Infidel." The first flier displayed a photo of a woman being stoned to death.

Fundamentalist Muslims, "who want to kill Americans," are threatening the liberties afforded to Americans by the Constitution," said TAC President Justin Pulliam.

"Americans should be worried about losing their traditional rights and liberties under the Constitution, like Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion," Pulliam said. TAC makes a distinction between "fundamentalist" Muslims and "moderate" Muslims in its arguments, Pulliam said.

"It is our goal to educate Americans about these issues so we may protect basic human rights and empower moderate Muslims to reform violent and oppressive aspects of fundamentalist Islam," he said. "What we're asking for, hoping for is just as Christians have denounced and no longer practice bad things in their holy books; we hope that we can have a worldwide movement where Muslims say ‘We're no longer going to practice violent verses that are in the Quran.'"

Members of the Muslim Student Association were also stationed at Sbisa handing out fliers titled "Exposing what Islam is about," inviting students to a lecture and questions and

answers session.

One of the TAC fliers defines Taqiyya as "The Islamic doctrine allowing fundamentalist Muslims to deceive non-Muslims in order to advance Islam" and that "Muhammad (Allah's Apostle) permits deception to facilitate murder."

But MSA President Afnan Adam said Quran quotations on the TAC fliers are taken out of context.  

"The most disingenuous claim by the TAC is their claim that Muslims lie as part of their religion, and claiming that this is what is called ‘Taqiyyah,'" Adam said. "Taqiyyah, as defined by Muslim scholars is the act of hiding one's faith in the case where [she or he] fears persecution because of their faith. It was allowed for the earlier Muslims who were dragged over the burning coals and tortured to death by the people of Mecca while persecuting them to make them convert back from their new faith, Islam."

Any holy text can be falsely used in support of violence, said a female Muslim student that wished to remain anonymous. She will be referred to as Jane for the rest of the article.

"My religion says to not hurt even a plant," she said. "On the [TAC] website, they are saying in this country they were doing this, in this country they are doing this. But, Islam is not a country."

The first flier, "Islam: Oppression of Women," indicates that one of the ways Islamic women are oppressed is by being forced to cover their bodies. But covering the body is a choice, Jane said.

"I choose this way and it's my decision. If you want to free me, leave me with my choice," she said. "If [a] girl covers herself because of the force of any other human being, than I would go and tell her ‘Please don't. Let me help you to uncover yourself.'"

The first flier created a lot of angst, said Tim Sweeney, associate director of Student Activities.

"To try and make sure that the groups were communicating at least, to hear one another out, we facilitated a meeting between the Muslim Student Association and the Texas Aggie Conservatives," Sweeney said.

Sweeney and Bill Stackman, the director of Student Activities, were at Sbisa Wednesday "to make sure everyone gets to say what they believe," and to calm students that may become violent while discussing the fliers.

Pulliam said he would like to debate the issue with the MSA, but no one has accepted the offer.

"We had hoped to debate the Muslim Student Association or any other student organization that would like to put up a speaker," he said. "We're bringing a speaker in, Robert Spencer, for Nov. 11."

Adam said he declined to debate with TAC because "their motive is not to understand what we believe."

"Without the resolve to understand the other side, no dialogue or debate is successful," Adam said, "and thus is a distraction and a waste of time."

TAC will be passing out fliers throughout November.

Two groups with opposing views, expressing themselves side-by-side, is a beautiful display of Freedom of Speech, said Karl Flocky, a junior renewable natural resources major.

"But I feel [the TAC flier] kind of comes off as anti-Islamic," he said. "And I think it's surprising that a political organization on campus would take a stance against a specific religion because I feel that doesn't really have much to do with politics at all."

5 comments Log in to Comment

StopIslam
Tue Nov 2 2010 15:24
Oh boo-hoo! The Muslims won't debate because "no one understands them!" Oh boo-hoo! Always whining and complaining about something., always the eternal victims! Oh boo-hoo! Why don't you Mohammedans stop mass-murdering "infidels" and "unbelievers?"

What an excuse! The Muslims are not debating Spencer because they know he speaks the truth about barbaric Islam, and exposes the true goal of Islam - World Domination:

"Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on earth." -- CAIR cofounder and longtime Board chairman Omar Ahmad, 1998

Ha-Ha! The Muslims haven't got the huevos to debate Spencer! Cowards!

Re: "ConcernedAggie" - The Koran does NOT say that Jesus is the Messiah. That's a total lie. In fact, in Islam, Jesus is NOT divine, he's just a mortal prophet, another "slave to Allah." The rest of your comment is BS, too. BTW, Jesus IS God, it's you Muslims who are the "idolaters," worshipping an Arabian pagan moon deity that doesn't exist. "Allah" is the Warlord Mohamet, you poor brainwashed fools. Which is why your "religion" is all about war and conquest. What a no-brainer.

"Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. Those who follow him are merciful to one another but ruthless to the unbelievers" -- Qur'an 48:29.

That's how Islam feels about you, people. And this: "O ye who believe! The unbelievers only are unclean." -- Qur'an 9:28

Furthermore, Islam believes that "unbelievers" go to hell:

"Lo! those who disbelieve, among the People of the Scripture and the idolaters, will abide in fire of hell. They are the worst of created beings." (98:6)

Don't you just love that warm and fuzzy Islam?! Well, it doesn't love you - re-read the above verses.

Bravo Robert Spencer and welcome! Thanks for being a truth-teller about hate-filled hate-mongering racist/bigoted Jew-hating mass-murdering barbaric Islam. Ha-Ha! Beat you to it, you stupid Leftist Dhimmis.

StopIslam
Tue Nov 2 2010 09:38

dcb2f
Sun Oct 31 2010 16:11
concernedaggie, i think you better do more studying about other countries who have accepted islam. their goal is 100% islam. their goal is simple - make islam a peaceful religion because it is the only religion allowed. do it. study it without the influence of what people think islam is and then you'll know.
ConcernedAggie
Thu Oct 28 2010 15:11
The Koran says that Jesus is the Messiah, and anyone who truly believes in Jesus will go to heaven, even if they are not Muslim. A Jew who follows the Bible and truly is faithful, will go to heaven, even if they are not Muslim. Not as restrictive a view as those who say you can only get to heaven by accepting Jesus - that would exclude Jews, but not Muslims, from heaven. The biggest problems Muslims seem to have with Chrisianity is that it seems that Christians worship Jesus as God in addition to the one true God. Such idoltry goes against the commandments of Moses that all Muslims follow as law. This is an unfortuate misunderstanding of Christian doctrine by Muslims. Christians really need to explain better how there is only one God, and Jesus is not a second God.
ConcernedAggie
Thu Oct 28 2010 14:52
The only thing I'm afraid of is the conservative view that we should be afraid of everything that isn't a conservative world view.