String duo set to perform Tuesday in Rudder

Two men from Croatia form 2Cellos, find YouTube fame

Published: Monday, October 28, 2013

Updated: Monday, October 28, 2013 22:10

Cellos

COURTESY

Croatian cellists Luka Sulic and Stjepan Hauser form 2Cellos, performing Tuesday

While access to covers of popular songs are just clicks away on YouTube, two young men from Croatia take the idea of a traditional cover and spin it on it’s head — using cellos, rather than their voices to make renditions of famous songs.

Cellists Luka Sulic and Stjepan Hauser of 2Cellos will perform Tuesday in Aggieland, booked by MSC OPAS.

“We try to find acts who really draw students in,” said Alex Dunn, OPAS member and senior accounting major. “OPAS took polls on campus to see if students would be interested in having 2Cellos play and got good feedback from the information. From there, it was simply a matter of contacting their manager.”

Sulic and Hauser became famous for their cello-playing on YouTube and were invited to play on an episode of “Glee.” From there, they were offered a recording deal with Sony Masterpiece.

2Cello’s fame continued to build as the pair appeared on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” multiple times, as well as various other late night talk shows such as “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno. They were also invited to join Elton John on his world tour.

Dunn said, with this amount of fame, the duo’s show will attract a lot of students.

“It’s a really unique opportunity for this act to come to College Station,” Dunn said. “The MSC box office has already sold a lot of tickets to the performance. Students seem excited about [2Cellos] coming. We’re going to have a lot of people in Rudder, and it’s really exciting.”

David Levin, finance graduate student, said he is attending the performance on Tuesday night and is looking forward to seeing 2Cellos live. He said he first saw them perform on “Glee” and didn’t know who they were — he just thought it was a cool act the show brought in.

“It’s a really interesting take on types of music that people really like, and they do it through a medium that’s not really accepted but really inventive,” Levin said. “It’s cool to see it all comes together. They found success in an unpaved way of music.”

Senior finance major, Megan Bolen, said she is attending the performance and also saw them for the first time on “Glee” when they played “Smooth Criminal.” Now she listens to them when she studies.

“I’ve always been fascinated by cello music,” Bolen said. “It’s really different, and I like their modern take on the classic style of the cello.”

2Cellos will perform at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Rudder Auditorium.