Spirit award embodies student life contributions

Buck Weirus award apps due Monday

Published: Sunday, February 2, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 2, 2014 19:02

There’s a Spirit can ne’er be told, but receiving the Buck Weirus Spirit Award comes close.

Monday marks the last day to submit applications for the 2014 Buck Weirus Spirit Award, an honor given by the Association of Former Students to recognize students who make positive contributions to student life programs at Texas A&M.

Kathryn Greenwade, Class of 1988 and vice president for communications at the Association of Former Students, said recipients of the award are students dedicated to impacting campus.

“Those who receive this honor are recognized as ones who are motivated, organized and able to handle multiple demands on their times,” Greenwade said. “When employers familiar with Texas A&M see this award listed on a job applicant’s resume, they know they are looking at an individual who will make positive contributions and not sit on the sidelines.”

Kevin Andrews, doctoral student and 2013 Buck Weirus Spirit Award recipient, said receiving the award was a moving recognition of his campus work.

“I can recall being moved nearly to tears to know that my impact and experiences at Texas A&M University were judged to be worthy of this award when I read the congratulatory email — and then having to play it cool because my co-workers were all five to 10 feet away,” Andrews said.

The award was established in 1982 by the Association and is named after Richard “Buck” Weirus, Class of 1942. Weirus served as executive director of the Assocation from 1964-1980. His namesake award recognizes students who make positive contributions through high involvement and enhancement of the Aggie Spirit.

Even after winning the award, Andrews said a true campus leader continues to push themselves to excel and give back.

“None of my co-winners have rested on their laurels, but rather they continue to stay involved on campus,” Andrews said. “That’s how our paths all end up crossing, because we’re always looking for opportunities to lead and serve.”

Andrews said the award made his family proud of what he was doing as a student and was a way of being recognized for the day-to-day campus service his family is not often privy to.

“You want to live in a manner worthy of the designation you have been given,” Andrews said.

To be eligible for the award students must be currently enrolled, have completed at least two semesters at Texas A&M, must have a cumulative minimum 2.25 GPR for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students, be in good academic and disciplinary standing with Texas A&M and not have won the award previously.

Award applicants are encouraged to share their own personal Aggie story through considering the four tenants of the award: involvement, experiences, impact and spirit.

Students may apply by 11:59 p.m. Monday at aggienetwork.com/buckweirus.