Sorority partners with girl scouts

Kappa Delta members act as mentors

Published: Monday, January 20, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 20, 2014 23:01

Beyond raising funds for a cause, members of the Kappa Delta sorority are looking to provide girls with something money can’t buy — role models.

The Texas A&M chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority partnered with the Girl Scouts of Central Texas and will allow members to sell cookies at the Kappa Delta house this month.

Bailey Rainey, sophomore psychology major and Kappa Delta vice president of community service, said the sorority’s work with Girl Scouts has deeper philanthropic roots.

“It’s a huge part of Kappa Delta, increasing confidence in girls and women in our communities, in our schools, in everything,” Rainey said. “The Girl Scouts help do that. By partnering with them and doing this sort of mentorship, we are able to instill that confidence in young girls on an everyday basis.”

Rainey said other events include activities that introduce the scouts to Aggie culture, including a campus tour and a yell practice with Yell Leaders.

“One of our best events that we do here that is very unique to A&M is we have the Yell Leaders come to our house and they do a yell practice for the Girl Scouts at the Kappa Delta house, which is really unique because A&M is the only place that does yell practice that these girls get to come to,” Rainey said. “And they get to spend time in a sorority house, meet Yell Leaders and meet Reveille.”

Rainey said their work helps the scouts think about the future, and more specifically the prospect of attending and graduating college, a feat that some scouts might be the first in their family to accomplish.

“It’s a lot of fun and we get to teach them about A&M,” Rainey said. “They always say things like, ‘I can’t wait to be an Aggie,’ and everything like that.”

While there is a need for charity efforts that simply donate money, Lindsay Ernest, junior agricultural leadership and development major and Kappa Delta vice president of membership, said it is this aspect of interaction that makes the Kappa Delta partnership with Girl Scouts such a great avenue for volunteering.

In addition to offering a platform for cookie sales and showing scouts the Aggie culture, the Texas A&M chapter also plans a monthly event with Girl Scouts, which has included a Halloween fashion show during October as well as service projects, Ernest said.

Megan Quinn, Kappa Delta member and senior international studies major, said she taught yoga during an activity put on for Girl Scouts centered around healthy living and being confident in oneself.

Quinn said the best part of the experience is building relationships with the scouts.

Ernest said sorority members have a chance to be the scouts’ friends as well as role models, all the while installing the notion of opportunity in young girls.

“[The goal is] making sure they are getting the support they need, letting them know growing up that they are special,” Ernest said.