Sorority encourages campus to 'Think Pink' for a week

Published: Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 23:10

From cupcakes to decorated bras, the Texas A&M chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha is working to sprinkle a little pink on campus with a week of activities.

Think Pink week started on Monday with yogurt eating and will continue through to the cupcake fundraiser on Thursday, all to increase breast cancer awareness.

“Essentially it is a way for us to promote breast cancer education and awareness on campus and get all of our student body involved,” said Elizabeth Lucas, junior community health major. “We want to turn the school pink.”

The main attraction of the week is “Big Man On Campus,” a male talent show featuring various representatives from Greek Life and the Corps of Cadets, among others.

“We start off with 24 contestants at the beginning of this week,” Lucas said. “They compete throughout the week and at the end the top-12 men from organizations will go on to compete in ‘Big Man On Campus.’”

As a part of this challenge, Lucas said contestants decorated bras Tuesday evening to reflect their personality, the organization they represent and breast cancer awareness. Students will be able to vote on their favorite decorations from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in Rudder Plaza.

“We are giving them the option after 2 o’clock to walk around wear it,” Lucas said. “That’s up to them. We are not forcing them to do that, but a lot of them are really excited about it, strangely.”

Cole Dotson, senior nuclear engineering major, said while competing helps gain attention for his fairly new fraternity, Alpha Tau Omega, the events have a deeper, more personal meaning to him.

“[What] I’ve learned is that anyone is susceptible to breast cancer no matter your age, gender or race,” Dotson said. “One of my aunts passed away due to breast cancer last year, so I want to help raise money for research in this field.”

Boston Prachyl, freshman general studies major who will be representing One Army in the “Big Man On Campus” competition, said he was participating to raise money for a worthy cause while representing his organization, but he was going to require assistance to decorate his bra.

“For the bra decorating contest I am a little nervous,” Prachyl said. “I’ll be looking for a lot of help from my Zeta partner because I am definitely not a crafty person.”