Silver Taps

Cameron Lindsay: He always kept a positive attitude

Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 17:02

Cameron

Courtesy

Cameron Martin Lindsay was a fighter. You could see it in his persistent positive attitude, despite an 11-month battle with cancer.

Even though he went through an extreme amount of chemotherapy, proton radiation and aggressive treatment five days a week, 24 hours a day, the junior petroleum engineering major remained optimistic and constantly looked forward to returning to school each day after therapy.

“He was very positive,” said Cameron’s mother, Valerie Lindsay. “It was a very painful cancer and when that boy was done with his chemo treatments that very same day he would get out of hospital — no matter how sick he was — he always went right back up to school to do the best he could do.”

Cameron’s girlfriend of two years and senior special education major, Lindy Swanson, said she was surprised when Cameron was diagnosed with cancer. Lindy originally thought Cameron would only need surgery for a sinus infection. But when doctor’s found signs of a rare cancer that affects tissues in the body, the couple remained positive.

“We were being positive because when he started treatment in March, his tumors shrank quickly and the chemo was working fast,” Lindy said. “He was the most positive person I've met. After going through everything the past 10 months, I couldn't even count two times when he complained.”

Cameron’s grades were very good before he became ill, and his professors worked with him and his family throughout the whole situation. He was very invested in A&M — in classes and as an active member of his fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi. It was always Cameron’s wish to follow his father’s footsteps by majoring in petroleum engineering.

“He was really persistent,” Lindy said. “He always studied and he was very diligent because he wanted to succeed so much. He was really good at math, so a lot of his engineering came easily for him, but he worked really hard on the material that didn't come easily.”

Lindy said Cameron would sometimes have to stay in the hospital for weeks at a time, so she often traveled to see him.

“I went back to Houston a lot to see him,” Lindy said. “Sometimes his treatments would last five days; sometimes they’d only last two. I’d go down there as much as I could and he came up to College Station as much as he could.”

Cameron’s fun, outgoing personality made him a well-liked person.

“Cameron was probably the loudest guy you’d ever meet,” Lindy said. “He was the life of the party. He was really funny, but also really sensitive and thoughtful. He was one of the greatest guys I’ve ever known.”

Lindy said they’d always go bowling or to the movies to hang out with their friends. Besides his schoolwork, Cameron loved to golf, hunt and fish whenever he could.

“He was fabulous,” Valerie said. “He was very, very outgoing and was lots of fun. His personality was very bold and when he walked into the room, everyone was aware of his presence. I just want everyone to know what a great person my son was. He was a fabulous young man and it is a great, deep loss for our family.”