Senators prohibited from sharing impeachment information

Joseph denies claims made in J-Court appeal

Published: Thursday, February 13, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 13, 2014 01:02

In the wake of the impeachment of Student Body President Reid Joseph on Tuesday, little information has been disclosed by the Student Senate. Speaker Chris Russo said in an email to the senate that senators are not permitted to release information about the charges brought against Joseph under threat of impeachment, in accordance with senate by-laws.

“The specific charges brought may not be disclosed outside of executive session by anyone other than the indicted person,” the by-laws read. “Violating this subsection constitutes grounds for impeachment.”

In the email, Russo also detailed the framework of the trial. In order for Joseph to be impeached, the Senate must have a three-fourths vote for his removal. Fernando Sosa, senate rules and regulations chair, will preside over the trial.

A Judicial Court appeal against Joseph scheduled for Wednesday, filed by Cary Cheshire, the same senator who filed for Joseph’s impeachment, was dropped. In the appeal, Cheshire said Joseph failed to file a letter to the Board of Regents along with other University entities about that the NASFRA Enaction clause. The appeal stated the Board of Regents said it did not receive a letter and that Joseph should be required to show proof that a letter was written in the first place.

Joseph denied those claims.

“I have an email from the executive director of the Board of Regents, Vickie Spillers, stating that they did receive the bill, SB 66-11 at their office,” Joseph said. “I also have an email saying the same thing from Matt Fry, the University chief of staff.”