Senate convenes for final meeting of semester

Published: Monday, December 2, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 2, 2013 23:12

Student Senate will convene for the last time of the semester on Tuesday to vote on a bill that seeks to end randomized ticket pull for football games.

The End to Randomized Seating and Support Social Justice at Kyle Field Bill requests that the 12th Man Foundation return to the “first come-first served merit based system” that was in place two years ago.

In the previous system, students who pulled first during their classification’s designated pull day were given tickets closer to the field. Students would camp overnight in front of Kyle Field for the best tickets, sometimes days before they were assigned to pull.

Hannah Weger, bill author and junior communications major, said the 12th Man Foundation originally changed the system so students would not have to sacrifice their grades for better football tickets.

The bill was positively received at the last meeting, Weger said, and she expects it to successfully pass Tuesday.

“I think this is something the 12th Man Foundation should invest in and change because it would make a lot of students happier, especially those who have been here a lot longer and used to have that merit based system,” Weger said.

Weger said there has been a large response to the bill on social media sites and that system changes would not be difficult to implement.

“It really would not surprise me if [The 12th Man Foundation] changed it because of the massive student response via social media and email,” Weger said.

Weger said most Student Senators support ending the randomized system, but not all Senators agree on which system should replace it.

Senior Class President Rachel Norman, said the seniors she spoke to are against the current randomized system.

“A lot of people are saying to make it first come-first serve again,” Norman said. “There were a lot of seniors that kind of feel like the advantage of pulling a day early is negated by the randomization.”

Norman said the first come-first serve system rewards those who want the best tickets.

“The ones who choose to camp out or go super early are the ones who are super passionate,” Norman said. “It is kind of like rewarding them for their spirit.”

Student Senate will also vote on The TAMU Library Expansion Bill, which supports extending library hours on campus. The bill is expected to pass with a large majority.

The Gatorade Bill, which requests that more non-carbonated drinks be available at all on-campus dining facilities, will also be voted on.