Razorbacks say no band, Reveille at football game

Arkansas to capitalize on limited home field time

Published: Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 00:09

Rev

Tanner Garza

Reveille takes the field during the Alabama game.

In line with the usual 12th Man away-game festivities, patches of maroon in the stands will contrast the opposing team’s colors, white towels will whirl and yell leaders will proudly lead Aggie fans at Saturday’s game against the University of Arkansas.

However, at this away game, Reveille will not preside over the match and the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band will not take to the field during halftime.

The absences can be boiled down to the University of Arkansas’ live mascot restrictions and its decision to utilize halftime during its limited home games for in-house recognitions.

Kevin Trainor, associate athletic director for public relations at the University of Arkansas, explained the Razorbacks’ rationale.

“With a limited number of home games on campus, we have limited opportunities to recognize those from the University and former student-athletes, groups et cetera, so we must maximize the opportunities we do have,” Trainor said in an email.

Upon hearing the halftime show would be packed with other events, Tim Rhea, director of bands and performing ensembles at Texas A&M said the Aggie Band administration responded in a “matter of fact” manner. Rhea said officials had to cancel a hotel reservation for more 100 rooms, but the band ultimately did not incur any financial loss.

Rhea said he expected some changes in terms of band housing now that A&M has joined the SEC.

“In the SEC, the home team controls the football game,” he said. “[The team is] not required by conference rules to contact us more than a month ahead of time.”

Andrew Quesada, junior political science major and member of the band unit A-Company, said the misunderstanding seemed to result from a mutual miscommunication.

“It seems that there was miscommunication on both sides,” Quesada said. “However, I am glad to see the old Arkansas-A&M rivalry being revived. The issues surrounding Reveille and the Aggie Band could be viewed as an expression of that rivalry.”

The Southwest Classic will resume next year at AT&T Stadium.

“We are aware of the great tradition of the ‘Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band,’” Trainor said. “[The Southwest Classic] will allow both bands to perform for the enjoyment of both institutions’ fans beginning next season.”

Quesada said Reveille’s absence and the live mascot rule could ensure the safety of the fans, especially with mascots such as LSU’s Mike the tiger.

“I love Reveille, but I can see why the rule is in place,” he said.