Prof ratings now free

MyEdu, formerly Pick-a-Prof opens basic access to all users

Published: Thursday, September 2, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

While add/drop week rolls on and students tweak schedules, myEdu.com has opened the door to valuable college information by making its online services free.

Originally known as Pick-A-Prof, the company has transformed its website and is now allowing access to information regarding professors and classes for free to over 700 universities.

Chris Chilek and John Cunningham, both class of 1999, started Pick-A-Prof in 2000. Over the past 10 years Pick-A-Prof has spread from the A&M campus to about 1,000 universities and helped more than 2 million students.

Chilek said the company's goal was always to provide the services for free for students.

"We wanted to make services as free as possible for students, but with gathering data from so many universities there were always costs that needed to be taken care of," Chilek said. "As of about August 15, we were able to make professor grades, reviews and booklists free to all schools."

Senior recreation, parks and tourism studies major Madeline Brieger said she's been using the site and is glad students can now access such priceless information without the price. With all the stress in college, she said having these resources easily accessible really helps.

"Someone told me about it my freshman year and I've used it ever since" Brieger said. "It's free and with the grade percentages and reviews I'm able to get a good idea of what to expect. I mean why not make things a little less stressful for yourself?"

Chilek said that the website has been completely transformed with more information than ever. The older resources are now free for students who want to find the best professors, and new services for students who are serious about their credits and degree planning are available for paying members.

"The applications which were on the old Pick-A-Prof website are now completely free to students at any university, all they have to do is like our page on Facebook," Chilek said.

The Facebook page gives students a means of comparing classes and sections with friends.

Junior kinesiology major Rob Pipes said he recommends the website to new Aggies and friends because they provide specific information on all classes.

"I find it is very useful when selecting instructors because they show the average grades the instructors use and what percent of people who drop the class" Pipes said. "It's also very easy to use myEdu and now that many applications are free, we students should definitely use the site to our advantage."