President Loftin, committee search for budget-cutting administrator

Published: Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 19:07

President R. Bowen Loftin and an eight-person search committee are attempting to fill the senior vice president for administration position, a newly created position that he said will help in budget reductions and campus infrastructure.

The Division of Facilities will report to the senior vice president about operations varying from facilities to campus police and will serve as an adviser to Loftin. 

"The new senior vice president for administration will serve as one of my key advisers and provide management oversight for administrative matters related to nonacademic operations in the areas of facilities and physical plant, business auxiliaries and university risk and compliance, which includes University police," Loftin said.

Because of the importance of this position, Loftin said finding the right person was crucial.

Lallah Howard, the executive associate vice president of business affairs who will be overseeing operations in the Division of Facilities during the interim period, said the main focus was the future of the campus facilities.

"The primary focus is trying to tie down what facilities does, to further the academic mission of the institution and make sure the two missions are closely aligned, specifically with the academic master plan," Howard said. 

Maintaining buildings and making sure students will not have to pay for rising energy costs is a concern that will be addressed, Howard said.

"It is a project that has been on going for quite sometime, I designed it to reduce our energy consumption on campus," Howard said. "It is also putting in new generators at the power plant to make the power plant more efficient because much of our infrastructure on campus is aging."

Jason Cook, chief communication officer for the A&M system, said the search committee and Loftin were working as quickly and efficiently as possible to fill the position. The search committee is headed by the Vice President of Research Jeffrey Seeman and made up of undergraduates, graduates and faculty.

"This is an important position for the University and as such Dr. Loftin is moving quickly to find the right person for this important role," Cook said. "We are handling it quickly but also in accordance to standard procedures we have on campus."

No deadline has been set to fill of the position.