Open House exposes Aggies to breadth of student life

Published: Monday, January 20, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 20, 2014 23:01

Editor’s note: The following summaries are not to be construed as endorsements.

Members of organizations big and small gathered Sunday to showcase their organizations during the Spring MSC Open House. Of the hundreds of student clubs present, here is a sampling of those The Battalion talked to. A full list and description of Texas A&M’s student organizations can be found at studentactivities.tamu.edu.

Texas A&M Bhakti Yoga Club

The Bhakti Yoga Club introduces students to the holistic part of yoga that caters to not just the body but the mind, intellect and soul.

Abhijeet Shinde, chemical engineering graduate student, said the club offers physical exercises as well as philosophical discussions.

“Food is also an important part of yoga,” he said.  “We offer cooking classes where students at A&M come and learn various recipes.”

Order of Aggie Illusionists

The Order of Aggie Illusionists caters to magic-loving folk and helps members learn how to perform magic tricks. Ted Goles, freshman health major and member of the Order of Aggie Illusionist, started only last semester but has come to learn many illusions in his short time in the club.

“We are a teaching organization, you can show up to the first meeting not knowing anything and we will show you how to do some tricks,” Goles said. “I came in last semester not knowing how to do anything and now I am doing magic demonstrations for Open House.”

Zoological Society

For animal lovers, the Zoological Society takes field trips and has guest lecturers that speak on topics relating to zoos and animals.

“Usually we get zookeepers, veterinarians, professors doing animal research come to meetings and talk about what they do,” said member and senior zoology major Michael Stanley. “A lot of people in our club do want to work in zoos, or sometimes they are people who just like animals. We go on field trips to places such as the Dallas Zoo, big cat sanctuary and other zoos.”

MSC Visual Arts Committee

The MSC Visual Arts Committee serves to bring art to the campus. Amy Arndt, sophomore psychology and English major, said the members run the Reynolds Student Art Gallery in the MSC, where they help plan the shows and choose what artists are displayed. They also host ArtFest, an art competition that displays student art in the gallery, as well as Aggie Frame of Mind, a photo contest.

“If you have artistic talent or if you are just appreciate of art in general, our organization serves well to bring the two together,” Arndt said.

ActiveMinds

ActiveMinds is a student organization that brings awareness to mental health issues, not only on campus but in the community.  

Andrew Bae, senior accounting major, is the president of the organization at A&M. He mentioned the prevalence of depression and other mental health issues that can be mitigated with the help of other students.

“There’s such a stigma attached with mental health issues that the only way to get rid of it is to bring more information to people who are misinformed of it and to have everyone talking and feel comfortable talking about it,” he said.

SWAMP

SWAMP is a student filmmaking club on campus in which students share ideas and learn about the aspects of filmmaking. 

“If you’re interested in filmmaking, we put you with the right people,” said Melissa Neybert, junior telecommunication media studies major and president of the organization.

Salsa Fusion

Salsa Fusion Latin Dance Company is a dance organization promoting Latin culture and popular styles of dance through performances and classes. Nicole Ramirez, junior animal science major, said the organization provides a fun opportunity to learn a dancing skill and meet people.

“This year we are opening up a membership side,” she said.  “You will have free lessons every Thursday, and after that there will be a social where you can practice what you learned and meet people.”