Olympians bid farewell to A&M

Larson, Adams among seven seniors to win final home meet

Published: Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 00:02

swim

Shelby Knowles

Seniors and 2012 Olympians Cammile Adams and Breeja Larson embrace Saturday after the final home meet of their A&M careers.

The No. 2 Texas A&M women’s swimming and diving team wrapped up its regular season on Saturday with a 153-97 victory over North Texas at the A&M Recreation Natatorium.

Saturday’s meet marked the end of one of the most successful senior classes in A&M history. Of the seven seniors that swam in Saturday’s meet — including five school record holders, three conference champions, two defending NCAA Champions, and three Olympians — six ended their collegiate careers with individual victories.

“It was just a solid performance from a great group of seniors,” said Texas A&M head coach Steve Bultman. “I wish this group wasn’t seniors, but they really took us to the next level with national and international competition.”

Senior Olympians Breeja Larson and Cammile Adams continued their dominance in the pool, sweeping the backstroke and butterfly events, respectively.

A&M looks to improve last year’s runner-up finish in the conference championships when it heads to Athens, Ga., on Feb 18-22 to compete in the SEC Championships.

“We are excited to move on,” Bultman said. “We’ve got a lot of girls already qualified for NCAAs so we feel good heading into the conference championship.”