Bike Share

Over 4,000 ofo bikes will be released for use by Texas A&M students by the fall semester of 2018.

A new dockless bikeshare program will be unveiled in Aggieland on Feb. 27, providing a technological spin on a traditional system.

Texas A&M Transportation Services partnered with ofo, the world’s largest bikeshare program, to bring 500 yellow ofo bikes to campus this month and will release another 4,000 by the upcoming fall semester.

To use these bicycles, students can download an app which will display a map of all nearby bikes then unlock them using a QR code. Students can park the cycles at any place on campus as long as they lock them up before leaving. The program will be free until March 13th, then students can purchase the services for $.50 an hour, $9.95 a month or $34.95 a semester.

According to their website, ofo is based in Beijing, China, and has over 10 million bikes in over 20 countries. ofo bike features include unique identification numbers for each vehicle, an LED headlight visible for up to 500 feet and a smart lock that is GPS enabled and mobile synced.

This new program is similar to Zagster, which allows students to choose from 75 cruiser bikes at 10 major locations on campus, including Academic Plaza, Sbisa, West Campus Library and The HUB. Payment for this program is similar as well, with both hourly and annual membership rates.

An official launch event will take place in Rudder Plaza on Feb. 27 to allow students to practice using the new bicycles from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. More information can be found through the Texas A&M Transportation Services website.