Members pledge proactive mindset

Evaluation by Southern Association of Colleges nears

Published: Monday, January 13, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 23:01

Senate

Alex Nelowet

The Faculty Senate convened Monday to discuss proactivity within its committees and in the University in preparation for the upcoming Southern Association of Colleges evaluation for Texas A&M University.

In terms of productivity, Karen Watson, provost and executive vice president for Academic Affairs, said “active-as-of-today” interim University President Mark Hussey has asked faculty members to report to him on how each unit can help move A&M toward Vision 2020 and three goals each unit wants to accomplish this fiscal year.

Watson reminded faculty members that they need to remain proactive as SACS will be coming soon to evaluate Texas A&M.

In the face of the acquisition of the law school, Watson said the Southern Association of Colleges will be evaluating A&M’s branch schools and the main campus as one University.

Richard Carlson, geology professor, urged his fellow Faculty Senate members to be proactive in the Senate and to anticipate issues that may arise in the future.

“We need to think about what kinds of problems we can anticipate to make this the University we want to have and we can’t do that if we are passive,” Carlson said. “And man, we are passive.”