Meeting to refine core curriculum

Published: Sunday, January 12, 2014

Updated: Sunday, January 12, 2014 22:01

The Texas A&M Faculty Senate will meet to discuss core curriculum changes prompted by revisions to Texas state education law in the first meeting of the Spring 2014 semester.

This meeting marks the beginning of a semester agenda that will include discussion on the selection of a new Texas A&M president and the construction of several new on-campus parking garages, said Walter Daugherity, Faculty Senate speaker
“[Monday’s meeting agenda] is occupied primarily in approving new core curriculum courses since the state changed the rules on core curriculum,” Daugherity said.

The changes to Texas A&M’s core curriculum under consideration were prompted by a 2009 report to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board that recommended the first revision of Texas’ core curriculum since 1998. According to the coordinating board’s website, universities such as Texas A&M have until Fall 2014 to implement the revised core curriculum for incoming freshmen.

Monday’s meeting will include several special consideration items. Thomas Linton, executive committee member and professor at Texas A&M Galveston, said one of the items he will be advocating for would create a Master of Maritime Administration and Logistics Distance course at Texas A&M Galveston.

“By 2020, world trade is expected to double and the need for maritime professionals will significantly increase,” Linton said. “The Galveston campus is the Maritime Academy for the State of Texas and the only one in the Gulf of Mexico. We’re training quarterbacks here to manage the world [trading] fleets.”

In addition to curriculum changes and discussing new presidential candidates, Daugherity said Faculty Senate members will consider several proposals to build new on-campus parking garages and possible parking fee increases as the semester progresses.

John Stallone, past Faculty Senate speaker, said Faculty Senate’s current activity is typical of its mission statement.

“The TAMU Faculty Senate is the sole representative body for all University faculty and their interests,” Stallone said. “Two key roles that the Faculty Senate plays are in the process of shared governance in the operation of the University and in the formation and revision of the student course curriculum.”

The meeting will be Monday at 3:15 p.m. in Rudder Tower 601.