Loftin announces cuts

Published: Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

One week after 66 Texas A&M employees lost their jobs, University President R. Bowen Loftin announced  the University is currently considering a $60 million budget reallocation, which will impact 485 jobs starting in Sept. 2011.

Because state funding pays for faculty's wages, the 10 percent state reduction leaves the University no choice but to cut employees. Although the reduction amount from state funding will not be final until next summer, money will not go back to units or colleges but will be spent on other strategic priorities, Loftin said in a university-wide e-mail.

State budget reductions are due to lower tax revenues, uncertain federal funds, increasing enrollments in public education and other demands on state budget. A group of faculty, staff, students and administrators is working to create a plan for the budget cuts, which will include more layoffs.

"While the FY2012 budget doesn't go into effect until Sept. 1, 2011, some units might be asked to take actions almost immediately due to the rules governing personal appointments and other circumstances," Loftin said.

Updates to come

How will this affect students? Look for a breakdown of the budget cuts by individual college in an upcoming issue of The Battalion.