GSC updates bylaws, constitution

Published: Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 23:01

GSC

David Cohen

Chris Lyons, Graduate Student Council legislative affairs committee co-chair, addresses GSC delegates Tuesday in Koldus 144.

The Graduate Student Council had its first meeting of the spring semester Tuesday to discuss updates to the GSC’s bylaws and constitution.

The main changes to the bylaws entailed clarification amendments and passed as-is with a unanimous vote of 42-0 with no abstentions.

The updated version of the constitution was not passed as easily, as GSC President and history graduate student Brittany Bounds moved to strike out a section limiting GSC officers to two terms.

The vote tied at 18-18 with four abstentions and forced a debate that ended in an amendment being added by Chris Lyons, co-chair of the GSC legislative affairs committee and plant pathology graduate student, stating that officers are eligible for re-election.

The amended version of the constitution was passed with the promise to revisit the issue next meeting by again reviewing the updated bylaws.

Bounds also collected graduate student feedback on several issues facing Texas A&M such as the pending tuition increases, suggested mandatory bike registration and registration fee and the funding of Kyle Field’s remodeling.

The next meeting will be Feb. 4 in Koldus 144.

Lindsey Gawlik, city desk assistant