Groups look to Aggies for help

MSC to host search for volunteers Tuesday

Published: Sunday, September 22, 2013

Updated: Monday, September 23, 2013 21:09

Organizations from the Brazos Valley will be looking for a helping hand at the MSC Respect Lounge when the Leadership and Service Center hosts the Volunteer Opportunities Fair from 10:30 a.m. – 2:20 p.m. Tuesday.

The “open house” of volunteer opportunities will feature more than 30 agencies in Bryan-College Station that are looking for volunteers this semester, including Habitat for Humanity, Keep Brazos Beautiful and the American Cancer Society.

Melissa Shehane, assistant director of student activities, said the diverse community partners at the Volunteer Opportunities Fair have a wide range of needs and could use the help of Aggie students.

“Any Aggie student can find a place to serve and match their talents with organizations that could use their gifts,” Shehane said.

"Furthermore, they can gain valuable skills that will help them in their future careers, but most importantly make an impact in the Brazos Valley.”

Shehane said statistics of the event reported that 97.5 percent of students learned about new opportunities that they did not know of prior to attending the fair, while 100 percent of organizations in the Volunteer Fair reported that they made connections with students they believe will result in committed volunteers.

One organization that will be at the Volunteer Opportunities Fair is Scotty’s House, a child advocacy center in Bryan that provides a supportive and nurturing environment for child abuse victims. Melanie Scarpace, volunteer and intern services coordinator at Scotty’s House, said the organization has recruited many volunteers through the event and that whether volunteers have one hour a month or a few hours a week, Scotty’s House could use the help.

“Volunteers make such a difference in the lives of the children and families who come to Scotty’s House,” Scarpace said. “With your help, we can continue to provide services to abused children and their families which bring comfort in times of crisis and lay a foundation for a healthy future.”

Chelsea Hanlin, senior agricultural leadership major, said she recommends that any and all students attend the Volunteer Opportunites Fair as volunteering has great benefits, both personally and professionally.

“If you become a regular volunteer and get to know who you are working with, that very person could help you get a job,” Hanlin said. “So in my opinion, volunteering benefits you personally as well as professionally. It’s just a matter of finding what area interests you most to help you excel.”