Grads weigh in on superstitious graduation date

Published: Sunday, December 8, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 9, 2013 13:12

This December’s Friday the 13th should prove to be quite lucky for the 3,782 Texas A&M students receiving diplomas that day, as soon-to-be alumni balance the legend of an infamous date with the celebration of their accomplishments.

Three separate graduation ceremonies will be held in Reed Arena and will take place at 9 a.m., 2 p.m. and 7p.m. Times are assigned by college.

Janelle Randolph, graduating senior and geography major, said she is excited to be graduating despite the bad reputation that Friday the 13th has.

“I’m definitely excited,” Randolph said. “It’s always nerve-wracking starting a new chapter but it’s also a really big step and I feel like, honestly, A&M has prepared me for that step. I didn’t have the traditional graduation from high school with the cap and gown so I’m excited to get to do that here.”

Randolph said her graduation date has become a punch line for her and her relatives.

“It’s definitely kind of a joke that’s going around my family right now,” Randolph said. “The date itself hasn’t [gotten me down], but I’m not particularly pumped about the time. I’ll be graduating in the 7 p.m. ceremony, which is right in the middle of dinner time, and by the time we get out it’ll be too dark for pictures.”

Kate Kanaby, graduating senior and geography major, said she felt the Friday the 13th graduation date was surely a bad sign.

“Being the clumsy person that I am, I initially thought ‘Oh no, now I'm bound to trip when I walk on stage to get my diploma,’” Kanaby said. “But I'm super excited about the ceremony, despite the date. I feel extremely blessed to be graduating from such an amazing university.”

Lane Stephenson, Texas A&M director of marketing and communications, said among the graduates, 29 will be Corps of Cadets members who are getting commissioned. The commencement convocation will take place Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in Rudder Auditorium and will be one of the final items of business for President R. Bowen Loftin.