Grad wildcat video contest takes shape

YouTube submissions open Monday

Published: Thursday, February 6, 2014

Updated: Friday, February 7, 2014 00:02

Yell

William Guerra

The Graduate Student Council is moving forward in the creation of a graduate student wildcat with the opening of its video competition Monday.

The video competition will conclude Feb. 14 and a winner will be selected in time for the premiere of the new wildcat at the March 1 basketball game.

Ryan Beemer, co-chair of the GSC marketing committee and civil engineering graduate student, conceived of the idea for a graduate student wildcat in the fall and made a proposal afterward.

Since the approval of the proposal, Beemer and Brittany Bounds, GSC president and history graduate student, have devoted spare time to a wildcat committee to iron out the logistics of a video competition.

The announcement video, filmed in November but held for release until after winter break, explains the nature of the competition and reiterates the rules and awards.

All current and former Texas A&M students in the University system will be allowed to submit a video of a performance of their suggested wildcat. When deciding who should be eligible to submit videos, student body president Reid Joseph, wildcat committee member, said it should be open to all Aggies and branch Aggies.

“If they are going to submit [a video] and they are eligible for an Aggie Ring or have an Aggie Ring, we should take [their video] into consideration,” Joseph said.

Beemer said to ensure only Aggies and “none of those longhorns” try to enter a submission, each entry must include the Aggie’s name and class year.

“We [will] just verify all the submissions before we sit down and judge them all,” Beemer said. “I would hate to find out one of our top three wasn’t an Aggie.”

The GSC asks that the wildcat remains within the spirit of the current four and that the video be submitted to YouTube with a #GradWildcat in the title before being emailed to gsc@tamu.edu.

In relation to how this new wildcat will fit into the stories, head yell leader Ryan Crawford said traditions evolve over time and there is no way to truly trace back the original wildcat stories.

“The stories of the bear, the wildcat, the train — those are just made up stories,” Crawford said. “The actual, traditional and historical stories behind them are honestly going to be like a senior wanted to watch a freshman do something goofy. If you watch a yell leader from the ’50s, they do the yells a little differently. I think just by handing down the yells orally — they were never written down — we were told this is how you do it and this is how you say it. Over the years they’ve just evolved, so there is no set fun story because honestly we only tell those stories because they are fun. It’s not like the historical context. The actual historical context was probably like a senior told a freshman, ‘Go yell Aaaaa at that tree.’”

Other wildcat committee members — representatives from Traditions Council, The Association of Former Students and Fish Camp — will also be part of selecting the top three videos.

After the selection of the top-three videos, graduate students will be allowed to vote for the winning wildcat.

The winner of the competition will receive an award dinner at Texas A&M University with the wildcat committee, a Rep. Bill Flores challenge coin and the chance to present the new graduate student wildcat to the entire Aggie community at the March 1 basketball game against Ole Miss in Reed Arena during the halftime show.