Friends remember student as positive

Published: Monday, February 28, 2011

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

Nicolis "Nico" Terrel Williams, from Sugar Land, died Feb. 11, at the College Station Medical Center after being hospitalized for bacterial meningitis. William's death impacted the Aggie family, and he is missed by his friends and loved ones.            

Nico, 20, graduated from Kempner High School and was a junior economics major at Texas A&M. He made many positive contributions to the University through his involvement in FLIP, Fish Camp and CARPOOL.

"This kid touched a lot of people," said Nico's father, Greg Williams.

Nico was a student worker at Evans Library and a research assistant at the Educational Psychology PRA lab during his time at A&M.

"He planned on using his degree to go to law school," Williams said.

Nico was hospitalized for four days after being diagnosed with meningitis.

The illness is preventable with vaccination, and Nico's family members said they hope to work with legislation to make the vaccine a requirement for students enrolled in Texas universities.

"I hope people understand how important it is to get the vaccination," said Clay Huddleston, a junior English major and close friend of Nico.

Nico was involved in campus organizations and had many friends he enjoyed spending time with.

"He was looking forward to studying abroad in Ireland this summer," Williams said.

Family and friends said they will remember Nico's positive attitude and ambition.

"Nico was one of those people that really lit up a room with his big personality. He was always having a good time," said Katie Mahand, a senior finance major, friend and co-chair in the same Fish Camp as Nico.

People that knew Nico repeatedly mentioned how service-oriented he was and how he had the ability to put other people first.

"Nico poured into other people and had a very positive outlook on things," Mahand said.

The Aggie family continues to mourn the loss of their fellow Aggie.

"I would like to add that Nico's family is very humbled by the outpouring of support by all Aggies. It has helped us tremendously as we grieve this tragic loss," Williams said.

Nico will be honored at 10:30 p.m. today at the Silver Taps ceremony in front of the Academic Building, as well as at Aggie Muster in April.

"The impact he has made is amazing and he has affected so many lives," Huddleston said.

Nico is survived by his parents, Greg and Arlene Williams, and his sister, Tiffany Williams.