Frats shoot clays for Wounded Warrior

Groups combine to support injured veteran association

Published: Friday, February 7, 2014

Updated: Friday, February 7, 2014 00:02

With his mission finally coming to fruition, Ryan Cagney and the Delta Kappa Epsilon and Beta Theta Pi fraternities will hold a student-run sporting clay shoot fundraiser to benefit Wounded Warrior Project in Snook on Saturday.

Cagney, sophomore architecture major, said he had the idea for the sporting clay shoot before classes let out for winter break. He said he became determined to create the event to benefit Wounded Warrior Project and proposed the idea to his fellow Theta Chi fraternity members.

“I got this idea and I spoke to the members of Theta Chi and they said, ‘No,’ and I said, ‘I already started working on this so I’m going to make it happen,’” Cagney said. “So I called a friend of mine at Delta Kappa Epsilon and got the ball rolling.”

Cagney said he knew Wounded Warrior Project was an organization worth helping, which led him to recruit assistance from both fraternities for help.

“They’re a reputable charity and they’re well-known,” he said. “They dedicate 89 cents of every dollar they receive to wounded warriors. We believe Wounded Warrior does the most good with the money they’re given.”

Remington Valadez, philanthropy chair for Delta Kappa Epsilon and freshman economics major, said he was interested in working on the event right away when Cagney approached him.

“[Delta Kappa Epsilon] was more than willing to jump on board and help out, especially for the Wounded Warrior Project,” Valadez said. “We had a few guys that knew [Cagney] and wanted to help his cause.”

The tournament will consist of student and faculty participants as well as outside supporters. Cagney said participants can enter as individuals or as teams and will receive a set number of shots. Prizes will be given to the female and male winners of the open individual category as well as the top two teams of the open category.

To have a variety of prizes students would be interested in winning, Cagney said he spent weeks calling around and sending out numerous emails.

“I just started picking up the phone and calling people and said, ‘Here is our paperwork, we’re hosting this event. Can you give us some prizes?’ Rowdy Gentlemen was the first one [to say yes],” Cagney said. “They donated $3,300 worth [of merchandise].”

Banner Long, president of Beta Theta Pi and senior biology major, said he was eager to get involved with the event because of previous support the fraternity has given to Wounded Warrior Project.

“[Wounded Warrior Project] is an organization we really like to support and we have a lot of guys who like to shoot, so we thought [the tournament] was pretty fitting,” he said.

Cagney said the event will also include lunch, free cigars and special attendees, one of whom will be Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, though Cagney said the event is not supporting any political campaign.

Dewhurst, who was a member of Beta Theta Pi, is set to shoot as well as speak briefly about his time in the CIA, Cagney said. In addition to Dewhurst, Valadez said other political figures, such as Rep. Bill Flores, Rep. Kyle Kacal and members of the offices of Sen. Ted Cruz and Sen. John Cornyn will attend.

“[Dewhurst has] a pretty interesting story,” Cagney said. “He is a veteran, he was in the CIA and he responded in a positive way when we reached out to him.”

In order to take part in the event, participants must be 18 years or older. Individual student tickets will be sold at $45, non-student tickets will be $130 and entrance for a team of five will be $630. The first round will begin at 8 a.m. at the Gunsmoke Shooting Range and the tournament will wrap up around 4 p.m.