Athens Drive Street Sign

Texas A&M sorority and fraternity houses are located off campus.

The Texas A&M Department of Student Activities has advised all fraternity and sorority chapters to cease all visitation to their chapter facilities, according to a Twitter announcement from A&M Vice President of Student Affairs Daniel Pugh.

“Last week, the university confirmed two previously identified chapters as having drawn the attention of our COVID Operations Center,” Pugh said in a tweet. “In doing so, we felt it [was] important information to our community as a campus and public health advisory as well as compliant with Clery Act reporting requirements.”

This announcement comes after A&M issued chapter-wide quarantine and contact tracing for two sorority chapters following reports from The Battalion that confirmed cases of COVID-19 at four chapter houses after in-person Bid Day celebrations.

Pugh said Student Activities’ move to cease visitation at Greek life chapter facilities is due to an increase in cases of COVID-19 among sororities and fraternities. A&M has not yet released any information regarding how many active cases of COVID-19 are present among university employees and students.

Additionally, Pugh said A&M is getting reports from parents that their students are being harassed as a result of Greek letters on their vehicles and that the student conduct office is investigating whether these situations involve student perpetrators.

This is a developing story and will be updated as we receive additional information.