Filing period for SGA spots opens Friday

Positions include student body president, yell leader

Published: Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 23:02

Filing for spring student body elections, which includes the races for student body president, Student Senate, yell leader, class president, Resident Hall Association president and class agent, begins Friday and closes at noon Sunday.

Filing will be online only and all candidates must be able to attend a mandatory candidate’s meeting from 8:30-10:30 p.m. Sunday.

Michael Dror, senior political science major, is a member of Student Senate and said he will not seek reelection due to graduation.

Dror said his motivation for running was to make a difference in the Student Senate after being unsatisfied with its work. He said he encouraged students who felt similarly to do the same.

“I felt that I didn’t really have a voice as just a regular person on campus and I thought that I’d have a stronger voice and more means to react to senate if I was in the senate,” Dror said.

In regards to the time commitment for members of Student Senate, Dror said it can be as little as a couple of hours per week.

“You get out of it what you put in,” Dror said. “But just being in senate by itself isn’t a huge time commitment.”

Maci Hurley, speaker pro-tempore of Student Senate, said students who want to make a difference on campus should consider filing.

During her campaign, Hurley ran unopposed. She said students do not realize how many races actually have only one or two candidates who file and that increased competition would benefit the organization and the decisions they make.

“Right now, there is not too much of an interest in senate,” Hurley said. “If you are thinking about running, just do it. Even if you don’t win, you can always write a bill as a student.”

Rachel Norman, senior class president, said students interested in filing for class president sometimes have misconceptions about what the position entails.

“A lot of people probably just assume that the class president is a part of SGA, but in reality we don’t do a lot with them,” Norman said. “Being class president means you are more focused on fundraising money for the class gift, which is your ultimate goal as class president.”

Norman said class presidents lead biweekly meetings for their respective class councils, which are responsible for upholding traditions such as Maroon Out, Ring Dance and Junior and Senior Elephant Walk.

“[Class president] is a lot more about representing your class in a tradition aspect,” Norman said. “This is not like your high school class president.”

Information on any of the positions up for election can be found at election.tamu.edu. Filing for student body president or yell leader requires a $20 fee. The fee for all other positions is $10.