Events seek to prepare campus for emergencies

Published: Monday, September 9, 2013

Updated: Monday, September 9, 2013 23:09

The Office of Safety and Security will be holding its annual TAMU Campus Safety Awareness Week from Tuesday through Thursday, ending with the fifth annual Dorm Room Burn on Thursday at Simpson Drill Field.

The awareness week consists of several safety seminars that teach students and faculty about everything from daily bike and vehicular safety to what to do during an active-shooter situation.

The week is purposely held to coincide with National Preparedness Month, National Campus Fire Safety Month and National Campus Safety Awareness Month.

Monica Weintraub, the emergency management coordinator of the Office of Safety and Security at A&M, said the purpose of the seminars is to spread emergency readiness to prevent and, if necessary, handle emergencies on campus.

“[Campus Safety Awareness Week] is an outreach opportunity for [the Office of Safety and Security] to spread emergency preparedness information to the campus community,” Weintraub said. “This week is targeted at students, faculty and staff. We provide a variety of informational sessions since safety encompasses so many different aspects. We just want to show everyone that there are a lot of easy little things that can be done to promote campus safety.”

The awareness week will begin with a meet and greet with local emergency responders in The Zone plaza from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday. The meet and greet is for students and faculty to get to know and talk to local emergency teams, ask questions and to get some information on what campus responders do for students.

Lt. Allan Baron of the University Police Department said the UPD is glad to get involved in this week of activities and he is hoping this Campus Safety Awareness Week heightens the alertness for the community.

“We hope that students and faculty that attend any of these informational seminars find themselves better prepared to protect themselves as well as learn how to appropriately respond to provide others with help,” Baron said. “Knowing what assistance to provide along with knowing who to call and what information to provide in emergency situations helps us responders to help you.”

Concluding the week is the Dorm Room Burn, a student favorite, which will be held with support from the College Station Fire Department, Domino’s Pizza and Blue Bell Ice Cream.

Along with receiving free pizza and ice cream, attendees will also get to see a life-sized model dorm room set ablaze up close. According to the Office of Safety and Security, the point of this demonstration is to show just how quickly a dorm room can burn and to provide advice on how to escape such a situation.

“The dorm room burn seems like a really unique demonstration,” said Kathryn Williams, sophomore political science major. “I’m hoping that the dorm room burn will teach students that dangerous situations can arise in any instant and we need to be ready for them.”