Event to feature laser lights

Published: Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

Fireworks are a common symbol Americans associate with the Fourth of July. However, due to the recent drought and wildfires that have plagued the state, those remaining in Bryan-College Station for the holiday will not see any fireworks this year. Instead, the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum with the College Station Noon Lions Club will present a laser light show at the conclusion of the day-long "I love America" celebration at the library's grounds.

Attendees are encouraged to come early and bring lawn chairs, picnic baskets and blankets. No pets or glass containers are allowed at the event.

Will King, public relations director at the Bush Library, said the laser show is not the library's first choice, but is only one of the event's elements.

"We start at 9:30 a.m. offering free admission [to the library] until 8:30 p.m. and then there will be live entertainment at 5:30," he said. "There will be concessions, games, an F-16 flyover and the Brazos Valley Symphony will perform. The laser show will begin around 9:45 p.m. and will last about 20 minutes."

The event kicks off at 7 a.m. with a 4k "fun run" through Veterans Park and the Athletic Complex. Historical characters will be available to pose for photographs and answer questions about their lives throughout the day. Live entertainment will be provided by artists including singer Kathy Ross and Jason Adams as Elvis. The F-16 flyover will follow the presentation of the colors and the national anthem.

Tickets are $1 each, and tickets for concessions are required and can be purchased at the event. Food available for purchase includes snow cones, ice cream from Schwan's, Slovacek Sausage, beverages from Bryan Coca-Cola Co. and free watermelon.

"The event is for the entire community and is family oriented," King said. "Being here on campus, we encourage students and their families to come out."