‘Driver Friendly’ to kickstart Lunch Box Special series

Students strive to draw musical diversity

Published: Thursday, February 6, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 6, 2014 01:02

Driver

Courtesy

Members of Driver Friendly, an alternative rock group that toured with Relient K, say they have had positive experiences at A&M.

In its first Lunch Box Special of the semester, MSC Town Hall will feature the alternative rock group,
Driver Friendly.

Driver Friendly is just one of the many bands that will perform for A&M students at Rudder Fountain throughout the school year during the Lunch Box Specials. Tierney Rose, Lunch Box executive and senior communication major, is one of the members in charge of coordinating the lunchtime concerts.

“It’s just so you can see something different,” Rose said. “You don’t have to sit in the MSC and stare at the wall, you can actually go outside and enjoy some live music.”

Town Hall’s main focus is to recruit musical groups that will entertain the students and play music they will enjoy.

“We try to bring up-and-coming acts, like Driver Friendly,” Rose said. “They’re actually pretty big. They toured with Relient K and Motion City Soundtrack, which are actually two pretty big bands in the rock world. That is actually really exciting for us.”

Driver Friendly recently performed at the Grand Stafford Theater in downtown Bryan. The band’s lead vocalist, Tyler Welsh, said the band has had positive experiences in Aggieland.

“We just love playing there because everyone’s awesome,” Welsh said. “It’s a great venue and it’s close to home so we can go there as often as we like. It’s always just a good show there. It’s always fun.”

Welsh also said Bryan-College Station encourages the participation of a diversity of musical acts.

“I think what’s really cool, especially coming out of Bryan, is there’s this really cool art scene,” Welsh said. “Actually, it’s a little bit
better than Austin because it’s a really nice, close-knit community with great places to play. For a band that’s just now starting out, it might be easier starting in Bryan or College Station than it is
in Austin.”

The Austin-based group has accumulated followers, including Emily Boyd, freshman biomedical sciences major and Austin native. Boyd said she hopes Town Hall continues recruiting bands similar to Driver Friendly.

“I like rock ’n’ roll and alternative and stuff like that, so having more diverse bands is a lot better than just country all the time,” Boyd said. “It’s nice to branch out.”

As far as what Town Hall has in store for the campus in the future, the organization already has bands booked for the rest of the semester, Rose said.

“We have a band called the Bluebird Specials, that’s next week,” Rose said. “They are a three-girl folk band. They’re really cool, they’re really different.”

The variety of tastes and interests is exactly what Town Hall is striving to appeal to as they bring acts to the A&M campus, Rose said.

“We think about different types of events to put on,” Rose said. “Obviously, music is number one. But we think about all kinds of events. In the survey we sent out, we said ‘What else would you want to see?’ A comedian was number two. That’s definitely something that we talked about — anything that we think the students would really enjoy.”

Boyd said students can gain a lot by attending the concerts held by Town Hall.

“People can go to broaden their horizons,” Boyd said. “You never know whether or not you’re going to like a certain kind of music until you listen to it. Because even if you say ‘Oh, this band is alternative and rock ’n’ roll,’ that doesn’t mean that they’re going to fit into that stigma and that they’re going to be exactly what you think they are.”

Driver Friendly will perform from 12-1 p.m. Thursday in Rudder Plaza. Admission is free.